Horizontal Overflow

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Anonymous, Mar 17, 2006.

1. To answer your question in the other thread, this is what I'm planning to do:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... ight=calfo

Mine won't extend the full width, rather it will be 32" wide and centered. The holes I drill will be a few inches down from the rim on the backside - probably 4 holes (1" bulkhead on each one). I may just order some more bits so I can put two 2" bulkheads.

Ordered the glass yesterday - couldn't get pure black without ordering an entire 4x8' sheet, so had to go with a dark tinted glass. Overflow size will be 32"W x 6"H x 4" D.

2. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Pito,

Just out of curiousity, what does WWFSMD stand for? What would (who) do?

3. bmb527 Marine Betta

I am anxious to see how this turns out! I have been wanting to do a Calfo overflow for a while now! Pics...lots of pics,..PLEASE
    Bill

4. Why... the Flying Spaghetti Monster of course!

Don't think so. This one has a foot-wide glass brace across the middle of the tank, siliconed to the front and back. Unless the slot was cut way off to the side(s), it would severely weaken the integrity of the backside.

Bill, I'll definitely post some pix when I start.

5. bmb527 Marine Betta

I think that notching the back of the tank, on both sides of the brace would still weaken the back wall a bit more than maintaining the stability of the entire edge and drilling holes a couple inches below the rim. I have seen some pics of a few of Calfo's tanks with the overflow on the inside, and it really isn't too noticeable.
    Bill

6. 1) Background - this one has window tinting on it, which I'll either leave on or remove and paint. Either way, would create a problem with a permanent external unless it was painted inside (the overflow) I think.

2) Skimming - probably the biggest attraction of the horizontal overflow - I'll be skimming about 40" of water surface.

3) Leveling - I've already noticed that my floor isn't perfectly level where the tank is now. If I leave it there, I'd either have to level the tank/stand, or level the overflow inside the tank. If I notched the tank I'd have to shim the tank stand.

7. I'm up in DC right now and don't have it in front of me, but it is Graylight - pretty dark too. I put it together last week before I left. Will put up some pictures when I get back.

I'm a little worried about the weight and if it will hold to the back glass though - looks a lot like yours but I gave it 4" from front to back so I can add a strainer and elbows if needed.

8. Few pics here - easier to just post my blog instead of linking to each one. Not moving along very fast because, among other things, I'm waiting to see how some transfer possibilities pan out.

http://petes105.blogspot.com/

9. Overflow installed and holes drilled!

Found a nice spot in the hallway for the tank. Haven't decided if I'm going to leave on the window-tint background, or remove it and paint black.

http://petes105.blogspot.com/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/img]

10. Looks good dad. :)

11. Don't you have homework to do??

12. When you gonna put water in that thing?

13. Actually I stopped by Seven Seas today and got some bulkheads, then on the way home tried to pick up some fittings at the BORG (Big Orange Retail Giant) but they were out of the right size Tees.

[edit] forgot RC doesn't suppor img linking.

I'll run it into a W/D that I have in the garage until I build a sump. Hope to have it plumbed this week and at least run a test on it.

14. Lookin' Good! ;)

15. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

What size bulkheads are recommended for doing this style of overflow, say, on a smaller 40 gallon tank?

Thanks...

Kirk