how to make refuge from bio ball sump

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by joegerard, May 2, 2006.

1. joegerard

joegerard CrossHatch Trigger LARC Supporter POTQ Winner

I am removing the bio balls from my wet/dry filter, I read it's a nitrate factory. I need to know how to make this into a refuge easily, sump can not be removed from tank stand. Thanks for any info in advance.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

3. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Take the bioballs out and replace with sand or mineral mud, put in some rubble rock, and macro-algae, and you're set. Minimal flow is the name of the game though.

4. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Don't forget he needs a light :)

5. Kirk_M

Oops...

Nothing fancy needed....you can get a lights of america fixture that has a 6500K bulb in it and you'll be fine.

6. joegerard

Kirk, you stated to have low flow, the next question is the two one inch pipes from the overflow dumps right on top of the balls(of course egg crate and filter padding) how do I take care of all this water flow without making major tidal waves in the sump and still use the return water for
    currents in the fish/coral tank. Thanks again.

7. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Could you post a picture of your sump?

8. Kirk_M

Joe,

As Travis posted, put up a picture of your sump as it is so we can try to give you advice on how to place things...

Kirk

9. joegerard

Sorry, but I haven't figured out how to insert image. Copy/Paste did not work, nor insert image. Sump is made from 30 gallon tank. Bio balls space is 12 in x 12 in, 4 in gap at bottom with foam in opening. Middle area is 9 in x 12 in has heater and skimmer. Then 4 in high wall, water then flows into 8 inx 12 in chamber where mag 18 sits. There is always 4 inches of water in sump until pump area. I'm thinking of moving skimmer and heater where bio balls are and use the middle area for the mud,sand, live rock, whatever. I would gladly post a picture if some one would tell me how.[/img]

10. Kirk_M

Joe,

Make an account on photobucket.com, upload your image, and then use the links under the picture that have /img in it (copy & paste to your message here).

11. joegerard

[​IMG]

Here it is.

12. Kirk_M

Joe,

It will be kind of hard to change that design, because I think you will have a difficult time maintaining a constant water level in that first compartment to keep your skimmer functioning properly. Let me think about this and maybe someone else can chime in here too...

13. joegerard

the bio ball and skimmer area always has at least 4 inches of water at all times

14. Kirk_M

Ok,

That being said, if you plan on putting your sand/mud in the middle compartment, what will keep it from slumping back into the first compartment where the bioballs are now, which is where you said you planned on moving the skimmer to. Also, if it only holds 4" of water constantly, how much water does your skimmer need in order to function properly, and to keep its pump from running dry?

15. joegerard

skimmer has power head to operate and sits on bottom, Seaclone, works pretty good. Someone stated to put filter floss or live rock, already have
    live rock in tank. As far as keeping sand/mud in place, I would have to shut down system and try to install another piece of plexiglass between bio ball compartment and middle. I can't remove sump without tank stand mod or tank teardown. New plexiglass would be say 1-2 inches from sponge in middle compartment. Which would slow water flow. Or would you think I should go with filter floss or live rock. I was thinking growing
    macroalgae in refuge would help out on hair algae. Just invested in RO unit to take care of any thing in well water that could be the cause.

16. joegerard