IM Pennisula 20 Sps Helldiver

Discussion in 'All In One Aquariums (AIO)' started by helldiver, Nov 30, 2017.

1. helldiver

helldiver Flasher Wrasse LARC Supporter

This is my neww build for Coral only and Sps
    Using all Aquforest products
    Started Sat after Thanksgiving Day 2017

Attached Files:

2. helldiver

I would like to get different Sps from local members in NOLA area only and over stock it
    Do I need to put a fish in ot for a bioload
    Or can I just feed with reef roids, acropower and af stuff
    For a bioload

clsanchez77 likes this.
  3. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

An aquaforest AIO lol. Since you are going all AquaForest, check out their PowerFood. I have never used it but one of the LFS became an authorized dealer and was really pushing the line. I looked into it but decided to stick with Seachem.

You can certainly go fishless as many others have before you. I personally think you will better off with a fish load. For this tank, stick with a few small fish. A pair of mated firefish would be awesome.

Are you going bare bottom? You could also or instead go with some small gobies, but some require substrates, others do not.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  4. MetairieReefer Peppermint Shrimp

I've often thought about getting fire fish but heard they are jumpers? I have a similar tank but was worried they would commit suicide.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  5. helldiver

No substrate I do not have a screen thought about a pair of lightning clowns

6. MetairieReefer Peppermint Shrimp

I've got a pair of clowns as my only fish and I'm pretty happy with them.

7. clsanchez77

Yeah, they jump, like wrasses. A small pair of clowns would be cool. I think you need to stick to oscellaris though, aren't they the only ones that stay small?

BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.
  8. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

looking good so far.
    Depending on the demand for nutrients you may have to either run lower light intensity and lower alkalinity for the sps OR ensure that your levels are staying balanced without fish and utilize amino acids and coral foods like the Aqua forest line you are planning to use.
    I have found that having a light fish load or no fish load with a heavily stocked coral tank is hard to maintain long term with little or no nutrients in the water.
    A more natural DKH of 7 and lower par levels from 200 to 300 tops would be a good start with low nutrient from lack of or no fish in the tank. Be sure to dose amino acids starting twice a week to help give the corals some easily absorbed nutrient, this will help sustain them.

Feeding SPS corals is a mixed bag of opinions on what they will actually consume via polyps being the tiny size of the foods required and mostly used to and designed for live tiny prey items among other things.
    Fish poop is hands down a dominant winner among vast majority of reefers and stick heads too in regard to keeping SPS fed well. In my opinion it is the fish waste broken down in the water column that creates a large portion of the Dissolved organics (nutrients) that they feed upon via absorption through tissues.

When you get this tank stocked with corals I would suggest monitoring DKH, relative to Par levels and tie this directly to the amount of Nitrate and phosphate you are able to keep stable in the water column at low levels.
    Low levels not ultra low would be good. If the nitrate and phosphate levels are always undetectable I would not Keep elevated DKH levels above 8 Nor lighting more intense than the mid level Par found to be great for most SPS corals (250-350 par ).
    Really the tank and the amount/ type of corals you are trying to house within it will dictate a vast majority of how you will try to maintain the parameters.

sfg, smileyjoe and Humblefish like this.
  9. helldiver

This will be bare bottom with encrusting monti and chalaices.
    When do we add pods.
    How long should I let cycle
    I have Dr Tims
    Today I added. Tunze osmolator 3252.
    Return pump Cobalt mj 1200
    Heater 75w new therm set at 78 degress
    Next will be a power head

10. clsanchez77

As soon as you get past the ammonia part of the cycle.

I recommend testing for ammonia and nitrates to determine cycle time instead of going X number of days. If you do not test, look for signs of diatoms as this is the first visible stage that the initial cycle is complete. This is also when you will add your pods, they mostly love diatoms. You could also test for nitrites, which will only be detectable in the tail end of the cycle, but unless you test very often, you will likely miss it.

This will speed the cycle up, to the point that you might not even see ammonia or nitrites.

BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.
  11. BluewaterLa

I agree with @clsanchez77 , good info there.
    What I would like to add is we must all remember that setting up any tank means that we will go through an ugly stage with out a doubt.
    Having said this If you are not wanting to devote lots of time for the first 6 months or longer to cleaning and fighting algae while trying to keep your corals from getting smothered out by nuisance algae or other bacterial goop then you could just add a few small fish to the tank for a few months and allow them to keep and build the biological filtration strong.

Getting a couple scrapings of coraline algae to help seed the tank with while maintaining the Cal, alk and mag so that the rocks get a good coating of coraline would be a good thing to help keep algae and such from getting a strong foothold on the new rock.
    With just fish for a while getting through the uglies would be easier and lighting can be dimmer which also promotes stronger coraline growth, then start filling in with corals.
    Having a more stable ecosystem is much easier to achieve success with corals Vs a system that is still going through mini cycles and unbalanced bacterial populations.

If you plan to not have fish in this tank then I would suggest getting some of the ammonia to dose the tank and cause a cycle to happen and the Dr tims bacteria will consume this so that when testing you can see how long it takes for the ammonia level to zero out.
    A few times of doing this and you will have a nice size population of beneficial bacteria in the tank. This level will come down to support the size of the bio load within the tank so without fish waste the bio load will be minimal and so will the nitrifying bacteria population because corals do not really produce a ton of waste. This would mean that you would have to stick to a regular feeding schedule of the same amount for the corals so you do not over do it and get a spike in ammonia OR dose lightly on the aminos and other coral foods you choose to feed for supplemental feeding.

Will you have any inverts in the tank for clean up purposes ?
    What about shrimp or brittle stars ?

12. helldiver

I will be putting inverts in and a cardinal today,I added dr tims live bacteria yesterday at 8am
    Possible addiding pods today and maybe some zoas

13. helldiver

14. helldiver

15. helldiver

Yes i seed with bios s for 2 weeks and used priobotic salt, after during that process i added ammonia waited for bacterial bloom lasted 2.5 days after that process made a coraline milkshake
    Consisted of coraline shavings and brs calcium put it return area.This sat i will make another milkshake.I added dr added ammonia. Waited a 4 hrs and added dr tims this was all done on thurs and fri morning added first corals Sun evening.
    Still need to add pods not running any filter media at this point.
    Been feeding corals everyother day aminos af viltality and af build one drop each

16. BluewaterLa

Interested to see how this system comes along being jump started this way and cared for on all aqua forest product.

17. helldiver

I am to believe me

18. helldiver

I thought I was not going to have diatoms with this but looks like it is starting not sure yet
    I guess i will be buying pods today

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 4:25 AM
  19. BluewaterLa

diatoms will pop up in any new tank with light, water and food source.
    They are good little bits of brown to have, good food for pods, hermits, snails and some fish too.
    Never seen a tank that did not go through diatom stage then the uglies.

20. helldiver

Yea me neither i have never seen a tank not go through diatom bloom.The reason I started this thread is to document all stages
    Progress and set backs