In wall display

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by renfest1, Jun 4, 2005.

1. renfest1

renfest1 Kole Tang

I am planning a home renovation that may include moving my 72" 125 gallon into the wall. Currently, the tank is set up in front of a wall with a closet on the backside. My sump and top off reservoir are in this closet. Do any of you have any comments, suggestions, or recommendations?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

pesonally i find that in wall tanks just blend int the background, it takes away the wow factor of a beautiful tank in the room and it becomes apart of the wall. I like my tank to stand out in a room, now if u dont have the space, thats a diffrent story

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The only regrets I have about our 500 gallon monster tank is that it wasn't set into the wall. We ran pipes through the wall and into our formal dining room which we turned into a sump room. We should have just gone the next step and put the sucker in there and framed it up.

I like the way they look in the wall and especially like the idea of concealing all the equipment.

Good luck!

Elizabeth

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm sure a major benefit is noise reduction, which would mean a lot to me. I've got plenty of fan and pump noise in my den. I would think that a draw back would be getting rid of side views from the main viewing room. I really like looking down the side of the tank. The depth of view makes it seem more like a natural reef.

Of course, you could still do that but you'd have to bring visitors into the tank room (which you might want to show off anyway).

5. BlakeAll

BlakeAll Fire Shrimp

I don't know your specific situation, but i have seen one before that was on a wall that seperated two rooms. One side (the den) was flush with the wall but in the other (The living room) the tank stuck out like a regular setup. You could see through it into the other room. I liked it allot! All the equipment was plumbed through the walls to a near by closet.

6. southerncoralfarms

southerncoralfarms Black Perc

i'll tell you what.... I had a 100 gallon that I put in the wall and it was beautiful and didn't take away from the aethetics of my great room... BUT...... one of the hardest things to do is to place coral in your tank from behind. It is easier to glue them in when you can see them from the front. I don't know how many times I would glue a frag in place and go around to the other side and look that it didn't look good that way. But the tank did look really cool in the wall.... It gave the tank an illusion of having more depth. My next tank (540 gallon) will be at the center of a room and you will be able to walk all the way around it..... with the plumbing through the floor, but it will be a showpiece all of the way around, not just the front panel of glass. If you are going in wall, just make sure you can move the lighting out of the way so you can really access it... Also, it was a big problem for me (5'11") to clean coralline off of the area of the glass near the top of the sand. My arms just wouldn't reach. The tank was 40" X 24" X 24". Just some things to think about.....