is fusion reef safe?

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Kirk_M, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Has anyone placed PVC painted with Krylon fusion spray paint into their tanks with no ill effects? If so, how long did you let the paint dry/cure for before putting it in?

2. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

only paint i could safely recommend is marine epoxy paint. anything else i honestly wouldnt trust unless somewhere on the can it said "NON TOXIC".

3. tnguy86

tnguy86 CrossHatch Trigger Forum Moderator LARC Supporter

i've used it with no ill effects on pvc plumbing on the inside of a tank....i let it cure 24 hours........but for the most part, it's use at your own risk

4. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

I have tried Fussion on PVC before, and never will agin. Algae blooms where constant (phosphates from the paint?) and it flaked off real easy.

5. i paintted my mag float, the paint flaked off in about a month. i say go for some black or clear pvc.

-Mike

6. Kirk_M

I was making a hang-on-tank frag rack...with PVC and eggcrate, but, didn't like how the white stands out on the back of the tank. I haven't had any luck with finding black eggcrate...though I knew that you could get black pvc online. Thanks for posting the links, though, Gary... do you know of anywhere that sells black eggcrate?

Sheesh, Gary...is that ALL you've done lately to that tank? Where's the water, man? :lol:

7. Kirk_M

Trav,

How long did you let it dry for before using it? It says it should be chip resistant at 7 days...which is how long I am going to wait before using this, maybe more, as I may cure it in a vat of water after the drying is done.

Supposedly, it stays on better too if you sand the PVC first...but, of course, I didn't do that. :roll:

8. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

several weeks

9. Kirk_M

I had considered Plexi...but, I don't have anywhere local that sells weld-on to connect the pieces (the hang-on-tank brackets) and the rack itself. Also, not having the proper tools (like a table saw with an acrylic-friendly blade [lots of teeth]) was a deterrent too. Once I make some space in my garage, I'm gonna have to get myself a table saw and a miter saw...just gotta get some of the fish stuff out of there first! :lol:

10. Kirk_M

Now that's an idea....from what I understand, using a heat gun is more predictable though, but, for the money I'd spend on one of those, I may as well just have someone make me a rack of plexi...out goes the DIY aspect :( .

11. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

I have weld-on....two types..don't remember the #'s but one is a liquid that is applied with a sniffer bottle & another that's more like a gel type glue that's applied directly from the tube...

I know i'm a ways out from you, but if you get the pieces, you are more than welcome to assemble them @ my place if you ever pass through here.

Also, I've cut acrylic on my table saw using the blade the saw came with and didn't have any problems besides rough edges....but that's why they make sand paper eh? I've also had success cutting acrylic with a standard jig saw also...

besides the cutting, I don't have much more experience working with acrylic but i was playing around with the scraps and I can tell you that making a few simple right angles is a snap. Especially if you're not too particular as to bubbles and such in the gaps.

12. I think Cadillac plastic in metairie carries weld on. It's on the service road by Boyce Honda. HTH

13. BLACK OUT

Just let algy black it out. :)

14. The only thing about melting plexi/lucite is that it has a tendency to melt inward on the edges of your bend. Zash made a protein skimmer doing that and that seemed to be a mild problem.

If you still want to go the painting rout, i have used hard epoxy enamle with good results in my tank. It drys harder than hell and with a acrylic clear coat, i'd betcha its bullet-proof.

15. safest rule of thumb is if it is meant for hobby use, dont try it. I wouldnt do it because its chemically based.

16. Wait, run that by me again......

If its ment for hobby use, dont use it? As opposed to industrial uses? I would think that commercaily available products are less likely to kill your stuff?

17. There is always the option of not painting the pvc but insted take some sand paper to the out side to rough it up a little this will alow for the coralin algae to get a easier grip on the PVC and take over and make it a nice pretty feature in the tank instead of an eyesore

18. now thats a thought.

19. Kirk_M

Just an update...the frag rack has been in the tank for 3 weeks now...no signs of algae problems from mystery leaching, no paint chipping, no phosphates, no coral deaths or stress. Conclusion: probably reef safe.

20. good to know.