Is This Lymphocystis???

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases - Diagnosis & Treatment' started by pecanislandreefer, Jul 28, 2017.

1. pecanislandreefer

pecanislandreefer Cleaner Shrimp

After almost 3 weeks in QT, and a few scares...the infamous "let's play dead" tang move, worsening symptoms, and 3 different types of treatment, I think we are finally on the up and up!! Someone is putting on some chunk, FINALLY, and no longer hiding from the light or trying to scratch on everything...and it's color is back. I truly thought we were going to lose him/her for the first 1.5 weeks. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.
  2. pecanislandreefer

Here are some pics of when it got really bad [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tupes and BluewaterLa like this.
  3. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Administrator LARC Supporter

This is good news! Did you use Cupramine or Coppersafe to treat him?

BluewaterLa likes this.
  4. pecanislandreefer

I used Cupramine. Also appeared to have some type of worm attached to it's skin, as opposed to the lympho, so I did freshwater dips and prazipro. The place I got it from completely freaked out when I sent them pictures of the condition of the fish they sent me, and the pics that followed over the week despite actively treating it. None of us thought this itty bitty, sensitive, fish would survive....low and behold a new one shows up at my door step 2 weeks ago. Put this healthy booger in 2nd hospital tank for observation(fully expecting the very sick one to croak) now I have two healthy hippos. Idk if they are dimorphic, and what to look for, or if they are like clowns and do the whole sequential hermaphroditism thing.

BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  5. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

I don't know if you have have two hippos in one tank, or what tank size would be needed for that. But healthy QT'd hippos are hard to find. You should have no issues rehoming the extra. But I would QT both of them and get them all the way through. Great work!

Humblefish and BluewaterLa like this.
  6. pecanislandreefer

One came to me healthy and hardy(the unexpected replacement), but I chunked it's little but in a 2nd qt for safety purposes. And, this little fighter, once completely healed up, has earned it's spot in my DT! The only visual differences between the two are the one in the above pictures has the black lines that stop at the eyes and the others lines go all the way to the tip of its mouth. I'm curious what is the differentiating factor between the sexes....

7. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

Great news and I am glad that you updated all of us on the condition of the fish.
    Sweet that they sent you another one to keep this one company in the display tank once they are ready.
    Hippo tangs actually do better with another one or two of their kind in the same tank.
    While it is common for folks to have just one in a tank and they do fine they usually will pair / buddy up with another fish even a chromis for a swimming companion.
    I have two Blue hippos in my 210 and both were in my 90 for almost a year before transfer.
    The smallest of the two was the first and only for a long while and would hide most of the time and do the whole lay down in a rock acting dead until it made friends with a small chromis of the same size to swim with. Eventually it became used to swimming with my yellow and chevron tang.
    Once another blue hippo was added they would school and swim together, they are social swimmers / schooling species in nature found together.

Most places will recommend when buying small juveniles to get two or three to keep together though most folks dont have a tank large enough for one of these fish much less two or three of them as they do get large. You have a six foot tank and this should be fine for a very long time.
    Enjoy your two blues, they are quirky fish that dont let go of that awkward behavior that tend to scare folks thinking something is wrong with them and cause some people to actually have flushed healthy specimens thinking they were dying by their behavior.
    Mine are definitely special for sure.

pecanislandreefer and Humblefish like this.
  8. pecanislandreefer

I can not wait. how long should I leave the healthy hippo in qt(observation)? It's been 2 weeks now and he/she is kickin chicken. Lol No signs of any infections or parasites. I know for sure the one that was ill will stay in qt for a little longer just to be extra sure....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. BluewaterLa

Honestly I would treat both of them for a full QT period with copper for 30 days if they can tolerate it.
    Ick can be present inside the gills out of sight with little symptoms for a long time in a healthy fish, though this is all about the risk you are willing to take with your tank.
    If your current residents have not been properly quarantined you may have Ick in your display tank that stays rather unseen as the fish are healthy and fed well which keeps their immune system strong and the parasites arent allowed to do much damage so making sure that the fish are not carriers of marine velvet would be a priority. Next would be to make sure they are free of flukes and worms.

Keeping a fish in a full QT with copper and rid them completely of parasites only to let them loose in a display with Ick is in my opinion would be subjecting the fish to the poison/ copper for little reason.

I do not know your tank as you do nor do I know the QT your current stock of fish have had so its hard to say one way or another what I personally would do.

the fish in observation without medication/copper, Is the fish showing any signs of flashing, scratching, head shaking or twitches ?

Humblefish likes this.
  10. pecanislandreefer

I can transfer the healthy Hippo to the copper QT once the other finishes it's stint(a week left) i don't want to mix them and have to restart the clock...i did treat with prazipro just as precaution for any kind of worms/intestinal parasites. Also, the reason I didn't immediately toss it in with the other hippo(only would have been a week setback) was my concern in using copper if not necessary, but I do see your point.
    As far as I can see, almost 4 months now and nothing I have added to my tank has contracted anything, and had the need to be quarantined. I've always QT'd all new fish, dipped coral for hitchhikers before putting them in the QT I do not use copper in, before adding to my DT. I'd assume(we all know how that can go ) that my DT is fairly clear of anything detrimental to my fish, bc again I'd assume atleast one of my little fish buddies would have become infected with something or the other by now, especially one of my scaleless fish or the tang.

KNOCKING ON WOOD!!!!! Lol

So, recovering Hippo still has another week in copper to complete a full 30 day treatment at a constant .5 level. Once it's DT ready I'll clean out QT and prep it to move the other Hippo over for Cooper treatment I suppose....always best to err on the side of caution.

11. pecanislandreefer

Ok....what gives?!

No changes in my QT, WHAT SO EVER...and I woke up this morning to my little trooper covered in freaking spots AGAIN!!! My ph is stable, copper level has not lowered, everything is right. Howwwww could something reinfect it over night IN MY QT???

12. pecanislandreefer

I'm thoroughly convinced we were infected by the Monday bug yesterday, after my trip to Thibodaux....it followed me home and hopped into my QT.

13. Humblefish

Can you post pics? Are you testing the copper level on a daily basis? If so, what are the readings?

14. pecanislandreefer

I'm holding steady at .5. I test twice a day, actually. When I get up in the AM and before I feed at night.

Humblefish likes this.
  15. pecanislandreefer

Is it possible it's some kind of worm that survived the prazipro treatment and is back? Would they survive copper? I'm completely at a loss for how great she looked TWO days ago....

16. BluewaterLa

Post up some pictures clear ones if you can, Both of my blue hippo tangs broke out in spots and some light patches that appeared like bacterial in nature after being in copper for two / three weeks.
    Some fish especially tangs can have what is referred to as an allergic reaction to the copper and this can also happen when the water quality is suffering from build up of nitrates or other compounds.
    After their copper treatment the spots returned again looking worse as I skimped on water change for a while and the 70 percent or more water change had them looking better within a day.
    copper is rough on fish and tangs have a thinner slime coat so more so on them and some forms / brands of copper are worse on fish than others.

Humblefish likes this.
  17. pecanislandreefer

I'm seeing tan and white colored "things" That seem to flap in the current on her body. Like a parasite, not ich or velvet...no perfect round sugar crystals or the dust look. Pictures are hard at the moment. Hiding game is on point and I am currently down to the use of my right hand(of course i am left handed) after two skib biopsies, burns and stitches, yesterday in Thibodaux.

18. pecanislandreefer

What's the difference between me treating with metroplex instead of the prazipro?

19. Humblefish

This could be a "skin tag" (i.e. allergic reaction to copper), Lympho or possibly a bacterial infection.

For deworming purposes, prazi is better for treating external worms (flukes, turbellarians) whereas metro is best used soaked in food to treat intestinal worms.

Metro also has some antiparasitic and antibacterial properties.

clsanchez77 and BluewaterLa like this.
  20. pecanislandreefer

I am completely at a loss here....we are on day, I believe, 25 of QT and she looks like THIS! I went as far as to bring my water to someone else to test the copper level, I'm not crazy...its holding steady at .50
    Is this ich or velvet, I'm so confused at this point I'm wondering if I may have ich myself....

I might add, she is still eating great. She only pulls her quirky moves, and tries to tuck under the PVC, or lay over and play dead,when I attempt to take her pic. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]