I've sunk to an all time low....

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by JLouv, Aug 25, 2005.

1. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

Well...the wife didn't think my cool 54g corner predator tank was cool enough for a baby room so she was keeping her eye open for a different tank for that room....

so we walk in to a LFS and before I could stop it, she sees this and instantly declares it my next project. [​IMG]

The only positive spin I can put on this is that she got it with blue trim instead of pink!

[​IMG]

It houses <get it??> a 29g tank....I'm thinking of having it drilled in the back for a single overflow and return and 3 more holes for a closed loop....the sump will be another 29g tank in the stand underneath....lights will most probably be a 175w MH i have lying around.....get this!! the chimney is hollow...AND a corallife fan fits perfectly inside it.

I can't hardly wait to get started... [​IMG]

2. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

ROFLMAO

i guess having a project at all is better than nothing. it will be cool to see what this "kiddie" tank turns into

3. Palancar

Palancar Ex-Acan Collector LARC Supporter

If it’s any consultation my wife thought it was cute too. It’s too bad we can’t have any more kids. :D By the way what’s the name of the shop so I know to avoid just in case.

4. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Will you hae some of those little froggies in your tank like the picture?? :)
    Good luck with your project.

5. The first word that comes to mind is...................... SEPECU :shock:

6. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

:shock: Nothing that drastic!!!! I'm actually kinda looking forward to seeing how it turns out...

By the way....anyone know a place in Lafayette that can drill a tank???

7. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

Time for an update!!!! Wait... I didn't mean to post the "!!!!" I really meant - <sigh> I guess ya'll would like an update....but don't tell anyone OK?

LOL

So, the stand arrived in a rather large and extremely heavy FLAT box....grrrreat

I got bored one night and managed to assemble it without any serious or life threatening cordless screwdriver mishaps...

And then Katrina and Rita...so it sat for a while...

I finally bucked up and purchased a 29g tank to put in it....but before I got off my bum to have it drilled, Saltynewb decided to sell his drilled 29g tank...so I snapped it up....a quick thank you to the first guy who didn't respond to his commitment to purchase the tank ;)

So here it sits. I had to drill a hole in the stand for the drain, but it's a perfect fit and again, don't tell anyone, but I think it looks damm nice.

All I have left to do is install the baffles in the sump, purchase a return pump and an ocean runner pump for the turboflotor I found in my garage. Install one of the MH lights I have lying around. Tear down the wife's 24g tank and use the PC lights from it for atinic suppliments and move the rock & sand....

Considering the time it's taken to get this far, I should be done by December ;)

Here's a pic of the whole thing as it sits in the baby room....
    [​IMG]

8. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Looking good ;)

:D

9. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

cost?

how much was that stand?

10. nice tank ;)

But that whole project you're doing looks damn good! I mean, for a baby room... ya know... lol looks great so far

11. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

Thanks for the support ya'll

Shiver, you really don't want to know.....but if you must...just a bit over $200 online...it was QUITE a bit more at the LFS

12. rivrat

rivrat Black Perc

Where did you get the tank from I need one like that for my little girls room. She stands in front of my 100 gallon all the time and takes in the full view so I might as well get her one for the bedroom. Man this is starting to put not a hole but a canyon in my pocket. :lol:
    My oldest son is doing a 10 gallon(with dad's money) and my youngest son wants one now. :lol:

Steve

13. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

yup, its pretty cool. i dont blame ya man.for the baby's room.., worth it i'd say. cant wait to see future pics of it.

14. Travis

Any Updates?

15. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

funny you should ask!

I've got an old turbo-flotor skimmer up and running and just finished building the sump....

here's the sump. It's also a 29g tank, just like the display, but I siliconed a bubble trap in it. I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't enough room for everything that I wanted to put in it, but it's still nice to be able to add the extra water volume...The baffles in the sump are pieces of glass I had cut at home depot. I just siliconed them in...took about 5 minutes...

[​IMG]

16. Travis

17. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

There's a couple of reasons why I'm going to stop setting it up right here where it's at...

1. A few months back, my wife lost her pregnancy. She was 3 months along and went for a check up and there was not a heartbeat any more. The doctor advised us to have it removed instead of waiting for it to be passed out. Please do not post any "I'm sorry" or "that's too bad" here. It was more than a few months ago and she's doing fine and we're trying harder than ever ;) for another one.

2. The room the tank will be in is not being used. It's just a store room for baby stuff that as of now, we don't need. So to set up a tank that we can't see and enjoy would ensure that the tank would eventually be neglected. So we're saving the final steps until we know a baby is on the way and we'll be in and out of the room every day.

3. Lights. I still haven't found the right lights for this tank. I got my eye on a 175w HQI though, so that will most probably be my next purchase.

4. Rock and such. I had to tear down my 54g corner tank because of a leaking canister filter. Right now, my maroon clown, lionfish & eel are living in a 24g tank in the dining room. The rock for the 29g is going to come out of that 24g, but I cannot move it until I get the 54g up and running again and all the livestock transferred. I'm still trying to decide how I want to set up the filtration of the 54g tank. Probably go with another canister filter because it'll be a fish only tank....I just gotta get off my butt and buy one.
    The 24g tank is cool, but it's not a saltwater tank I've come to realize. After it's empty, it's gonna change into a planted PW tank for some guppies or a school of tetras.....

18. Corkscrew valisenaria (sp) and neons?? Ahh so very nice, you may also want to consider some cardnials, rummy nose, or maybe a pair of rams... Black sand... Just some ideas. Does your 54g have live rock in it?

19. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

I see someone is a cross-reefer ;)

The FW thing is at least a few weeks away, but I'll look into those fish..Thanks for the list....I'm thinking that, like my reef, I would better appreciate a school of small fish instead of a couple large ones.....

the 54g tank has about 30lbs of LR in it already....currently it's running without lights about 1/3 full of water with a powerhead in it....just needs a filter...I'm torn between a wet dry and a canister. With the canister, I can get it closer to the wall and not worry about another HOB overflow, so that's pretty much the reason I'll decide on the canister....

20. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

VERY nice fish laci!!!

Never seen one of those before....It's now officially on the "must get" list....I'm a bit put off on the requirements, but I'm sure it'll be worth it!

for the rest of ya'll that don't know what she's talking about <I had to look it up ;) > here's a pic

[​IMG]