Kalk Reactors

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by ronniem, May 31, 2006.

1. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

I am looking for a Kalk reactor for my 125gl. I would like to hear from people who are running kalk reactors and which ones are they running.
    I evaporate about 1-2gl a day. Is that going to be too much kalk water??

2. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

your evaporation rate is perfect for dripping kalk...

I use a stoney reef reactor....you've seen it ;)

www.stoneyreef.com

3. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

Is Patrick still in business??? No response from any of my emails to him

4. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Supposedly the best mechanism for stirring a kalk mix is what Deltec uses on it's kalk stirrer (not a typical Nielsen reactor). It's an epoxy coated bar that is constantly rotating at a rate of only a few RPM, connected to a motor on top of the unit. Problem is, they cost nearly $400. Magnetic stir bars are not so good either, as kalk will start to cake up down in the bottom of the reactor, and eventually jam the stir bar, and you have to go back and dislodge it and clean it out. I have the GEO nielsen, and it uses a maxijet powerhead...needless to say, the powerhead burned up after less than a month and had to be replaced (even though it was only being run 4 times a day, 15 mins each as per GEO's instructions, using only "Aquarium Grade" kalk, not mrs wages). I just don't think they're meant to be run outside of water, not to mention that kalk easily jammed the impeller. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

5. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

I'm running a maxijet on my reactor...been running for about 3 years now with absolutely no problems. I think the problem with using pumps to recirculate in the reactor has to do with where the pump's intake is...and of course the quality of the kalk...Also, using a digital timer, I only run the mix pump for about 5 minutes spread out over a 24hr period...

6. I don't quite understand the use of kalk. Can someone explain that to me?

I have a 100 ga, with a 10ga sump. Do you think I need to add kalk drip?

7. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

5 mins total over 24 hours, or 5 minutes each hour, for 24 hours?

8. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

it runs for only 1 minute every 4 hours. So total, the pump runs off and on for a total of 6 minutes during a day...