Keeping different types of gobies together

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Anonymous, May 2, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Has anyone heard of anyone keeping a yeloow watchman goby and a pinkspotted watchman goby together? FRom what I read they will both fight with their own kind, but i haven't been able to find any info on keepingn them with each other.
    Thanks

2. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

definately not the same fish, but im keeping a firefish with a purple firefish and havent had any problems.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

most charts i've seen list gobies as "can co-exist with caution" and since the yellow and pink spotted look so drastically different i'd wager that they would get along. kinda for the same reason that royal grammas shouldn't be kept with bicolor pseudochromis' due to the fact that they look so similar.

btw, if you're looking to buy those, i have a large pink spotted that i'm looking to sell b/c i'm moving.

4. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

the best thinng about those types of gobies is they only need a small amount of territory, and once they establish it they hardley move far from it. so the larger the tank the more you can safely keep, usually. i only say usually because there are exceptions, which is why its is advised "with caution". the two you point out should be able to coexist with out a problem. i would definitely recommend the yellow to go in first since they are usually smaller.

5. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

What Typo said.....

I currently have about 4 different gobies in my tank <100g> and they all get along fine....

the worst fights I've ever had in my tank were between a spotted mandrin and a mandrin dragonette....no problems with any gobies....

I take that back...I once kept a purple firefish with a red firefish....when they got too close to each other, they'd go at it....eventually they each claimed a side of the tank and kept away from each other....

6. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

I've kept a yellow watchman goby and a diamond watchmand goby together in the past with great success. In fact, the two fish followed one another around and shared the same dug out caves in the sand.

Note: when I say followed one another I mean slowly and peacefully, not in a chasing manner. :)

7. francisnguyen

francisnguyen Spiny Star Astraea

im one of the few that has actually had both. and i can tell you, that even with the yellow watchman goby well established in my 90gal, the pinkstopped quickly took over the sandy bottom. ive also soon people keep different types of gobies together in bigger systems, like 200+ gal with ease... my advice is done do it.. the smaller of the 2 will end up jumping out or going to the sump.

ps the pinkspotted goby chased my 1st bluespot jawfish out of my tank and onto the floor... which i found the morning after all dried out, but still lookin pretty :(

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

gobies

Not the same thing but i'm currently keeping two bar gobies and one diamond goby together with no problems.
    Curt

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah mixing Gobies can be tricky sometimes. Ive had success with a Diamond Goby and a Blue-Spot Sleeper Goby. The only time they would exchange blows was when the other would swim a little too close to the others territory. Wasnt really much of a fight, the Diamond would just chase him off away from his cave. :lol: