LaRon's 120 Reef

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by nola-ron, Nov 2, 2016.

1. nola-ron

nola-ron Fire Shrimp

It's finally going down - the 120. As some of you know, I've had this tank for about 6 months as of November 2016 and have been waiting to get it running when I moved at the end of this year. The build is a transfer from my 75 which started off lps and then grew into SPS dominated as I progressed. I've considered going all SPS but there's too many acans/zoa/euphillia that I enjoy too much to at least have some along the bottom.

Current State of Tank:
    [​IMG]

Hardware:

Tank: 48x24x24 120g with center overflow (regret) by Planet Aquariums
    Flow: Ecotec MP40WQ-D (x2)
    Return: Mag 9.5
    Control: Apex
    Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 110-int
    Lights: Ectotec Radion XR30-W (x2) from RMS Mounts (x2)
    Heating: Aqueon PRO 350w (x2)
    ATO: Tunze Osmolator
    Dosing Pumps: BRS 1.1mL/hr Dosing Pumps

Chemistry:

Seachem Reef Fusion 1 & 2 via dosers 24/7
    Aquaforest Reef Salt
    1.025 ppt
    9 dkH
    440 calc
    ~1500 ppm mag (I don't dose this)
    Alk buffering with baking soda

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    BluewaterLa likes this.
  2. nola-ron

nola-ron Fire Shrimp

Stand was built by George @ Coral Connection. After going with another stand initially, I am very glad I went and saw George's stuff before I finalized this build. The craftmanship of the stand is great. The botto is sealed several inches of overflow. The top is actually recessed around 4" to cover tank trim and the ugly regions of a DSB.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My massive hole cut for the unnecessarily large standard overflow of the tank :(. The stand is designed so that the tank's trim and 3" of glass is covered for hiding a DSB. Considering I don't run a DSB I modified the bottom to raise the tank as to only hide the trim. It goes stand, foam, 3/4" playwood and another layer of foam under the tank.
    [​IMG]

First coat of paint on the inside. I worked on the sump area first to get the tank online sooner. Paint used was high gloss ultra white from Behr.
    [​IMG]

Once the sump area and top trim was covered in 2 coats, it was finally time for the tank! I can finish painting the rest of the stand once the tank is online.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    derpandabar, BluewaterLa and wazzel like this.
  3. helldiver

helldiver Flasher Wrasse LARC Supporter

Nice build

4. jleblanc26

jleblanc26 For the people, by the people Global Moderator LARC Supporter

What size boards is that stand framed with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Administrator LARC Supporter

Nice start!

6. wazzel Ko-Ko Worm Global Moderator LARC Supporter

I like it.

7. nola-ron

nola-ron Fire Shrimp

Today started with getting the tank wet and then going back to metairie to get all of my livestock. This move was... Something I never want to do again. I learned from mistakes though so hopefully when we buy our house and I move this tank it will be easier.

Roux didn't do anything but this:
    [​IMG]

While I did all of this:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here's some extra cured rock I've had cooking. Some cool pieces in here so hopefully I can improve on my old scape
    [​IMG]

Still need to clean this plumbing up
    [​IMG]

GFCI outlet this time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the 75 before I pulled it down. Glass is dirty from me not touching it for a week.
    [​IMG]

Here goes nothing
    [​IMG]

Back at the new place where I focused on just getting livestock in asap with life support and nothing more (needed to make another trip back to metairie for everything else)
    [​IMG]

More to come later!

BluewaterLa, wazzel and Frostydog like this.
  8. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

Well that's a great start, nice build thread.
    Congrats on the new house and build. My advice would be to get needed sleep so you don't have any hiccups from lack of brain function, I know this all to well :D

I like the dogs approach, mine have a habit of laying behind me or just plain in a path I need to walk continuously.
    Look forward to this tank coming together.
    Good luck and happy reefing
    BluewaterLa / Mike

9. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Black Perc

Can you give your thoughts and experience using the Aquaforest Reef Salt? I wanted to switch over to that line of products but would rather read some personal reviews first.

10. BluewaterLa

Interested as well, how long have you used this salt ?
    What are the parameters of fresh mixed ?

11. nola-ron

nola-ron Fire Shrimp

Thanks everyone. Today wasn't as productive as I wanted but I got the sump back online. All sump gear received a vinegar bath. I had some leaks around the bulkheads I had to fix but so far so good on the plumbing. I do need to work on the standpipes as they are very low and I have the return dialed down to keep it stable until I figure this out. I think I should hage used 1 1/4" plumbing on the standpipes.

Anyways on with the pics.

The view from the sofa is slowly improving. Today was the first time i got to see the tank with the lights on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm loving this sump so far. I'm glad I removed an extra partition I had in there for chaeto. I'm going to see how this system handles nutrients without it and I'm glad I have more open space. It's a breeze getting down here and working.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here's how she's sitting tonight. After cleaning up the wires from the back of the tank I'm really starting to like no background on this build. It gives it a clean look and I think it makes the tank look deeper.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll be focusing on the electronics panel, which is going to be made into a pullout drawer.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    BluewaterLa likes this.
  12. nola-ron

nola-ron Fire Shrimp

Looks like 2x6s

Sleep deprivation has certainly taken a hit on me!!

I REALLY want to get behind this company. I've had a box of Probiotic Reef Salt and a box of just their Reef Salt. The Probiotic was spot on against the included quality control certificate. However, the reef salt was 11dkh despite the certificate saying it was much less (I can't remember what it's supposed to mix up right now). I rolled the salt and got it down to 10 dkh @ 1.025 but that was still high. I had to just use small WC to keep my alk from swinging. I reached out to AF and they just told me I'm mixing it too high. I also had it tested with multiple calibrated refractomers as well as a digital Milwaukee. At least the salt is cheap though and mixed up instantly. It's very clean but I may go back to my old trusty HW Reefer. I also used A/B/C daily for weeks and saw no improvement other than increased nutrients and the need to clean the glass every other day. There's no denying the luck others have had with their products though.

GreyGhost and BluewaterLa like this.
  13. BluewaterLa

I believe @seth&angelle was talking about this salt last time I was in his shop, may be another brand though due to my aging brain haha.

Your tank is coming along fine, corals and fish are a little more hardy or tolerant toward a move like this due to the keeper maintaining similar parameters and husbandry so take your time and don't get bummed if things take longer than expected or liked.
    I've had many fires to put out that has my tank on stand by :confused:, so I've got some work to get done like weeks ago.

14. Frostydog

Frostydog Neon Goby LARC Supporter

Lookin good Ron , and thanks a million. Been working all day swapping out.

15. helldiver

helldiver Flasher Wrasse LARC Supporter

Looks simmilar to my 120 nice build
    I bet you will be able to grow corals better than me
    I am running 2 g3 pro at 60% on ab+ schedule 11 hrs a day
    I might steal your plumbing design for mine i used flex pvc and not happy with it

Attached Files:

16. nola-ron

nola-ron Fire Shrimp

Scape is done, apex is back online and I got a bag of sand in the tank. I'm not sure how much more I'll put in the tank but I have 120lbs. The scape isn't something I'm totally happy with but I'm going to roll with it for now.

I got the bottom for the electrical drawer cut and marked off as well. I need to make a trip to Lowe's to get the rest of the materials to finish the drawer. It will pull out to expose all the electrical.

So much left to do. I'm LOVING the sump and stand. There's so much room to work and I'm really glad I left a big open compartment in it. The first thing I did before doing the scape was moved all the coral to the sump to get them out of the way.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BluewaterLa likes this.
  17. nola-ron

nola-ron Fire Shrimp

Pics of the scape to come once the water clears :)

18. nola-ron

nola-ron Fire Shrimp

Water is still a little cloudy. I also have some more pieces to put into permanent spots (all the euphyllia and zoas)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Looking great! Your fish look fat lol. What sand did you go with?

20. nola-ron

nola-ron Fire Shrimp

haha, yea I believe in feeding my fish heavily. I used to feed the corals and broadcast feed the tank. Now I just feed my fish heavy. Everything gets eaten and I have less algae with no change in coral color and growth.

The sand is fiji pink. I had dry special grade reef sand in the old tank and it was a little too course for my liking. I have 120lbs of fiji pink but so far I have only put 20lbs in. I need to finish filling in the bare spots but I'm not sure I'll put it all in. I didn't have a nutrient issue in the old tank so I'll see if one pops up with less sand in this tank. If it does then I'll go ahead and put the rest in.

BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.