LFS in Lake Charles

Discussion in 'Vendor Experience' started by Anonymous, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Are there any LFS in Lake Charles?

2. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

There's a couple of them in the LC area I believe...just hang tight & one of the guys local to the Lake area will chime in soon...

in the meantime, why not try using the search function of the site?

3. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

A few of the LC people use Fintastic, in Sulphur.

4. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

In Lake Charles there arn't any LFS's, but there are Pet Stores like Planet Pets, but they are realy trashy (workers/store). I use Fintastic in Sulpher. They are on Ruth St. (Last Exit for Sulpher on I-10 West Bound) They are a few miles down (take a right when you exit off of I-10). They are in a Strip Mall on your left (last shop) across the street from the Court House (which is on your right).

Fintastic always has a great selection of fish and coral and the prices are usually spot-on. The owner, Lonny and his wife Dainah (spelling could be off, it's pronounce Day-Nah) are some realy nice people.

5. NormanB Bangaii Cardinal

I second what Travis said. Don't waste your time going to Planet Pets. All they usually have is a few fish and some condies. They have recently added some live rock in the display that they used to sell live fresh water plants in. Also, don't bother going to Fin City nothing to look at there either.

There is another place in Sulphur on Maplewood Ave. it's Blue something I don't remember. There selection is OK, but may be worth a look if you are in Sulphur to visit Fintastic.

Lonny and Daina are very nice people with a good selection of fish are coral.

There will be a new place opening in LC next week. It's Oceans Reef on Common St. on the back side of McNeese University.

6. Travis

Realy? I am gonna have to check that out :D

7. I went by today and checked out the place. The owner was there and let me in to get a peek at the store. They should be up and running in about a week. The store is bigger than any of the stores in Baton Rouge, with a nice setup. This looks to be a great store of from the plans the owner had it sounds like it is going to be a nice place.

8. NormanB Bangaii Cardinal

I stopped by on the 14th and they told me the same. That they would be open in about a week. I guess sometimes work goes slower than expected.

But, yes it think it will ge a good place to check out.

9. NormanB Bangaii Cardinal

I stopped by again last night and talked with one of the owners (I don't remember her name) and she told me that they were waiting on the building inspector for their final inspection before they can open. The inspector is on vacation thru the end on this month. So, it will be a couple more weeks before they can open. :(

The store in nice and roomy, should be a nice place to shop.

10. Palancar

Palancar Ex-Acan Collector LARC Supporter

Just stopped by Ocean’s Reef today and talked with one of the owners, Judy Benton. They had the last inspector sign off and plan to have live stock the tanks in the next couple of weeks. The shop looks like it will be top notched. It will be nice to have two real good stores in the area. For the Euroreef fans out there, they have a skimmer that is about 7’ tall and about 12” in diameter. Their saltwater sump room is pretty impressive to see. Plan to go back by and take pictures. Their phone numbers are 337-477-3540 voice and 337-3541 fax.

11. Travis

Sounds good.

I will be looking for a part time job in Lake Charles once school starts up, maybe they are hireing?

The owner, Judy, is a friend of my Aunt, maybe she can put a good word in for me! :)

12. melnguy

melnguy Fire Shrimp

I'm planning a trip to Lake Charles right now and was wondering it the store is open yet? I might delay my trip a couple of weeks if it is not.
    :roll:

13. NormanB Bangaii Cardinal

I just talked to Judy at Ocean's Reef and she said that they will be open mid next week. If you are looking for something in particular call her at 337-477-3540.

14. melnguy

melnguy Fire Shrimp

Thanks! not really looking for anything in particular. I really just like to look around. My sister is in Lake Charles and will be starting up a tank as soon as I get it to her. :lol: Was hoping to find something different at a new store. I am also planning on going to Fintastic while I'm out there.

15. Travis

Went by Ocean's Reef, the store looks great and Judy was nice. But her husband...He was just plain rude. I was looking around and talking to Judy and he comes and asks, "I got all this sh!t, ain't you gonna buy anything?". no smile on his face, just a blank stare. Definantly wasn't jokeing, unless he is one of those guys that makes a joke, but dosn't show emotion (unlikely).

Nice set up, horable customer relations.

I am gonna stick with Lonny and Daina over at Fintastic, nice people, very good selection and prices.

BTW, it was nice to finally meet Gary (GPReefer) in person, I recognised him from the picture he posted of him and his wife in one of the other threads :lol:

16. NormanB Bangaii Cardinal

Travis, just so you don't get in trouble...it's Dana. :)

17. NormanB Bangaii Cardinal

OK Well, I stopped by Oceans Reef tonight to see what was up. I vistited with Judy and Troy (the owners) for over an hour and both seem very nice. I had met Judy before, but tonight was the first time I met Troy.

So far they have a few fish with more on the way. Some nice looking live rock and a reasonable amount of dry goods. The lighting for the coral tanks is being installed tonight and they expect a LARGE shipment of coarls to be avaiable on Saturday. They are making a trip to Houston early Saturday morning to get them. Just can't trust the airlines to get them here on time.

Hours are Tuesday-Saturday 9:00 am - 7:00 pm and Sunday 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm. Not completely sure on the Sunday hours.

18. Travis

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Well that's funny, they both work at the Airport in Lake Chalres.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

19. Oceans Reef

I went by Oceans Reef the other day while I was in Lake Charles. The guy was pretty friendly. They have mostly the basics now, you can tell they are brand new. Very clean store and nice setup. It will be nice to have a store close by again.

20. I was in Lake Charles today and stopped by the local LFSs.

Both stores (finastic and oceans reef) had good prices. Fintastic has some clams in the 30 buck range! Oceans reef was good too, the guy was nice but that could have been because Jamie found a rather large plate coral and said "I want that, bag it up" within the first minute of being there. . . There goes my lunch money :lol:

Travis for the record, I now know where Kinder is!