lighting for a 120

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Jcraft, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Jcraft

Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

I currently have 3 250w DE MH's- 2 on my 72 and 1 on my 58- all running 14k Phoenix bulbs.

When I set my 120 up, I had planned on just using all 3 on it and that would be that . . . but I have someone who would trade a 400w Reefoptix light and ballast for my AquaMedic 250w . . .

should I do it or would that be overkill? If I go that route, I would like to try a 6500k Iwasaki on the 400 and put 20k bulbs on the 250's (similiar to those who supplement VHO's with their Iwasaki's)

How do ya'll think that would work out?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

JMO but I think you're fine with what you've got. The 400 would come in handy if you have a center brace that you'd like to blast through in the middle. Otherwise the 250's put out plenty (as you already know).

3. Jcraft

Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

yeah, i think the 3 250's would be sufficient, but I just figured if I traded for a 400 and I wasn't losing any money for it, then I could use the Iwasaki's to get that crazy growth a couple others here have gotten 8)

the tank does not have a centerbrace, so thats not an issue

4. southerncoralfarms

southerncoralfarms Black Perc

want to hear something really unique... on my 24" deep tank, I have gotten better coralline growth with the actinics turned off. Also, the corals that I do have remaining tend to retract their polyps when the actinics are on....??? Also, with only running the halides....any and all traces of algae in the tank ceases to exist.