Loose Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Anonymous, Apr 7, 2006.

1. I was just wondering how long it usually takes for loose mushrooms to attach to rocks. I have a loose Green-striped Mushroom i cant seem to keep in one place, and i really would like it to attach on its own instead of glueing it to something. I turned off my Seio and just have my HOB filter running so not to blow the mushroom around. I stuck the base in a nice little hole and its staying for now, but as soon as i turn on the Seio, there she goes. Im just sick of seeing it sitting on the sand. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. I like to make rubble bowls! I place thin/small pieces of rock down first, then I use peices like tonga branches to build around it and to block water flow. seems to work for me. I will post some pics of my frag tank on Monday if you want, it is at work. But it blocks enough flow that they don't get blown away. In 2-5 days normaly they are attached and can be reloctaed.

Also I have created a "dead corner" on purpose and placed small rocks down first for the shrooms to attach too.

If you have a lot of them I have a acrylic quarantine tank that I made, It is about 3"x5"x20" with slits on the ends. just add rocks and shrooms, hang it off of the tanks trim and tada! But aware of lights.

3. also, I have converted a plastic screw box that screws come in from Lowes' or Homie D and made floating rock boxes. These guys are 4x6x3 and I drill small holes in them for some flow and zip strap pieces of white foam on it for floatation then ad rocks and shrooms, cheap and easy. You can also use the small Gladware cheap bowls too.

Again be aware of lights, may need to tie it off to keep from going under Halides and such.

4. So far Jammer was the only one to answer the question though. Thank you guys for the input. i was just wondering how long it would take for them to attach to the rocks with little flow without doing anything special as it is only one mushroom. ;)

5. Only one mushroom?! All I have right now is "only" one mushroom.
    I'm like a proud new parent. :)
    anyway, good luck getting that sucker to attach.

6. SLUSamson

SLUSamson CrossHatch Trigger

Look around for the link to eric bornman video i made... there's a whole section on attaching mushrooms that should be helpful...

7. Sammie, Colin sent me a copy of the Eric Borneman DVD in the mail and i had the chance to watch it this morning. I have a much better understanding for softies and methods to get them to attach to rocks. I will have to try to duplicate some of my mushrooms using the razor blade the way he did to just score the tops in fours and have mass mushrooms. Most of the info i learned working at the Reef Keepers from meb001, but alot of the methods were new to me, especially those including SPS corals. Now i feel like setting up a frag tank and goin crazy with SPS corals. Atleast now i will no longer mispronounce Acropora, Montipora, Scolymia, and Cynarina. :lol:

8. How many other people hav had the chance to watch this DVD, and are any of you trying or have tried any of his methods. If so, how are they working out for you ?

9. SLUSamson

the sand trick works very good, i had tried it before i saw the video by accident... makes it real easy to glue those mushrooms down.. as far as sps, I tried mounting an acro frag sideways and was VERY impressed with how things grow out... instead of having one dinkly little branch sticking up, you get 4-5 after things start growing... the coral encrusts very fast also...

10. Yeah i cant wait to setup my next large reef tank so i can try some of his methods with the SPS. Im really curious to see how it would work out to split the coral right down the middle. I need one of those jeweler saws.

11. SLUSamson

yeah, those saws are cool... made a super clean cut like u were cutting it with a razor blade...

12. Yeah Dremels do a pretty good job cutting corals, but dont hold a candle to that sucker!

13. Well, the mushroom finally attached after only 5 days of just sitting there. I had to cut the flow back on the Seio just to get it to stay put. But, GREAT, SUCCESS!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: