Macros in the display tank

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Kirk_M, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

I was considering putting macroalgae in my main display tank, to give it a little more natural look. I have Caulerpa Prolifera, which looks very nice, as it is long bladed, and not the typical "sawblade" type of caulerpa you usually see...it looks more like seagrass. Problem is, I don't want to have to manually prune it down every few weeks, so, I was wondering if anyone knows of inverts or fish that will keep it in check for me. I know sea hares eat it as their primary food source, but, I really dont' want one of them, one, because they're huge, and will probably knock everything over, and two because they secrete a toxic ink when startled by, say, a fish that picks on it.

Any ideas?

2. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

i wouldnt put it in the display...the rhizoids attach extremely well to the crevices in the rock, and to prune it if the fish dont go for it would be too much of a pain IMO..id stay away from most macros in the display, unless its a really slow growing algae w/o much attachment filaments

3. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

a juvenile tang? I had some caulerpa growing in my display and also some other unidentifiable macroalgae that was starting to grow rampant!

I had a hippo in there that didn't touch it- it was very small tho and died not two weeks in. I then tried a Orange shoulder tang in the hopes that a "bristletooth" would eat the algae . . . no such luck- it wouldn't touch it. After being in my tank for 3 months, he went MIA . . .
    My last tang was put in there early May- a Purple Tang. Within 2 weeks there was NO TRACE of any macroalgae. he was a medium sized guy, so a amall one may be able to keep it in check for ya.

Moral of that rant? different tangs eat different macro's :confused:

4. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

If there was one thing I could un-do in my reefing experience, I'd not "stored" a handful of razor calupra in my tank for a week. It's everywhere now, nothing eats it, and I'm pulling handfuls of it out every few days.

Then again, you can do it and then we can b$*& about it together :D

5. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

i have some sargassum that doesnt seem to be very agressive. i just cut it way back for some people on nano-reef. there's pics of it in my 10gal. you can have some when it grows back out if you want.