Magnesium supplementation?

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by oimate842005, Apr 23, 2006.

1. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

Just curious to see if anyone on here adds and tests for magnesium. Ive been thinking about dosing some mainly for the stoney corals. What brand additive and testkit do you use? The reason why i ask is because im not very frequent on water changes, as its a large tank, I probably do changes once every 2 months or so...so maybe adding a little bit of Mg can help?

2. I use the salifert kit to test. I use IO salt and generally run in the mid to upper 1200's without adding anything. Right now I'm using Epsom salt to keep it in the mid to upper 1300's. I plan to switch to an off the shelf mag additive next time I go in to the LFS for stuff. Apparently using the epsom salt adds sulfate to your water (which is supposed to be potentially bad).

A couple weeks back I let it stay around 1250 for a while and I think that made it tougher to keep my alk level right. Someone (twisted tiger I think) reminded me that higher mag levels will make it easier to keep alk in check and raising it to 1350 seemed to do the trick.

It couldn't hurt to test right before your H2O change to see if it's dropping much.

scot

3. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

Gary, do you know if your supposed to use that stuff mixed with the calcium media? It doesnt say anything on that website about quantity to use.

4. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

I wanna try that stuff, but damn its expensive. Anyone local wanna go in on a bag and split it?