maintenance

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Anonymous, May 24, 2006.

1. What do you guys do for maintenance other than glass cleaning and water changes? Does anyone vacumn their sand?? My sand seems to be getting king of funky and has a little algae on it in one spot. It looks worse behind the rocks. I've been thinking of putting a small PH blowing behind the rocks to keep the stuff from settling back there. Right now my crew consists of 20 astreas and 6 small blue legs. Also getting a little algae on the rocks other than coralline. The coralline is slowly taking off. Do I need a bigger crew? Also should I clean out my sump also? The only thiing in my refuge section right now is a small ball of chaeto. Skimmer seems to be working ok and params are fine.

2. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

You can also take a powerhead and aim it at your rocks prior to doing a water change to put the debris into the water column to get it out during a change. Some people call this "storming" the rock. A small powerhead behind your rockwork will indeed help with preventing detritus from settling back there. You can siphon off the top layer of sand if you see stuff starting to accumlate there...just the smallest surface layer possible. Other than that, I don't do anything other than water changes and glass cleaning ;)

3. thanks kirk, do ya think I should add to my crew? nobody seems too interested in the sand other than the little bit of food that settles there. I do go silly on the rocks with a turkey baster.

4. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Well, the astrea snails won't ever be interested in your sand...the hermits only if there's food down there. Astreas are mostly rock and glass cleaners. If you want sand stirrers/cleaners, get Nassarius snails (they bury themselves in the sand and come out whenever there's food on the bottom of the tank to clean it up). A sea cucumber is good (don't get a sea apple) -- they will filter your sand through their mouths, eating any detritus they come across. You can also go with some Cerith snails -- they do both the glass and the nasty brown algae you may see form right at the junction of the sand and the glass. They also eat some detritus. A sandsifting star and/or a fighting conch are good additions too to keep the sandbed as clean as possible.