Manatees in Lake Pontchartrain...

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Anonymous, Jul 24, 2005.

?

Would/Do you swim or dive in the Lake?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have or do on a regular basis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yucky/No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I have heard through the grapevine that the latest aerial survey of the lake revealed a much larger Manatee population than in recent years. Fishermen have been warned about the consequences of netting them, but there are concerns as to whether ther is enough sea grass to sustain them...

2. Manatee dive sign me up

Hey I would be willing to go for a dive. specialy if there is known location of Manatee to go dive with.

mike

no water too murky no water to clear

3. Saldarya

Saldarya Table Acropora

If there are some who are willing to go diving to look for/interact with the manatees, drop me a PM, Im in.

Bobby

4. I sail on the lake and always wind up falling in/tipping over. I've seen people catch blacktips by pontachatrain beach and bulls in the spillway. I'd love to see a manatee but they're probablly in the estuaries closer to the ocean. I've seen 10 ft of clarity out there too.

5. i'll try to get more specific information about locations etc. i think its a pretty obvious postive sign that the lake is increasingly healthy. the juvenile bull and lemon sharks should love the returning dolphins and manatees.

6. YUCKY! NO!

7. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

yea there have been dolphin sightings too. i have heard alot of people actually do dive the lake.

8. Last summer we saw a manatee where the tickfaw river meets Lake Maurepas. We were able to get within 20 feet or so prior to it diving out of sight. Unfortunately there are many Cigarette/power boats that tear through that area...would be nice to see some notifications to increase awareness. Prior to the sighting I didnt realize we even had Manatees in our waters.

9. manatees, dolphins, bull, lemon and black tip sharks... oh my? any one see anything else which seemed rather incredible in the lake? With those artificial reefs we could soon have the next flower garden banks right north of nola...

10. i've heard that there are many sting ray schools, but i haven't seen anything else personally except reg. fish.
    When i worked at aquatic, someone brought us some spadefish caught in a crab trap in the lake. They were pretty cool. that was about two years ago.

11. My buddy told me that they are often seen in the vicinity of the Redfish, because they stir up the bottom and make it easier for the Redfish to feed...

We've caught plenty of Flounder, but I guess they are about as common as catfish in the midwest...

12. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

there is definitely sting ray in the lake. i have caught a few.

13. Slightly off topic but, i was thinking of taking my dogs up to the lake to swim, ideas where a good place might be that is pet friendly?

14. i'd go to ponchatrain beach, they have a nice sand beach and its usually pretty clear. its at the end of west end the last parking lot on the left if your comming from the west. Its kinda set off in the back I used to sail out of there when uno's boathouse was the old ragin cajuin rollercoaster station. The kenner lakefront at the end of wiliiams has ramps and a dock thats okay.

15. Heard of some manatee sightings on the south shore now. wish i had some more specific information!

16. Does anyone have a boat? :) I really would love to at least see some manatees. It's on my short list of animals to see in the "wild".

17. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

Llittle did I know, it's not just recently they've turned up and they're over a much broader range than I'll bet ya'll think!!! A quick web search turned up this page linked below....when you're there, check out the link to the documented sightings....goes way back but not very current <the report is a few years old>....these things are as elusive as Nessie herself according to the documented sightings ;) It's probably just that most people that have seen them just didn't report it...Or some coon-*** took it home for dinner ;)

There's also a large PDF file that's an article that was printed back in '03....if you're a manatee lover, you may want to skip that link....it's got a particularly disturbing picture in it :(

anyway, check it out:
    http://lamer.lsu.edu/classroom/manatee/

18. if i were a manatee i'd hang out at ponchatrain beach, but i'm sure theres too many ppl there. Its just got a nice sand bottom and it stays clearer than the rest of the lake it seems. Theres also a lot of life around the concrete breakwaters

19. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

I wonder how they're doing now that they've pumped god knows how much toxic sludge into the lake....... :roll:

Where's the enviromental wackos when you need them?