Measuring LPS feeding response

Discussion in 'Large Polyp Stonies' started by CenlaReefer, Oct 30, 2017.

1. CenlaReefer

CenlaReefer Harlequin Tusk LARC Supporter

Tonight I plan on taking some before and after pictures of my favia to demonstrate what a sufficient spot-feeding looks like. I will be using various types of coral food. Both sets of pictures will be taken after lights are out and opportunity has been given for the coral to extend its tentacles to the fullest degree. I will use a head-set flashlight and my iPad. Part of this will be used to show which foods demonstrate the best response.

2. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

Sweet Peas and Carrots !!
    This is great stuff, I will look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Thank you for taking the time to do this Kevin and being willing to share with Larc.

3. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

4. CenlaReefer

You are welcome! I will plan on posting new pics every 5 days. I am a firm believer that it's terrible for LPS health to feed too often. I actually killed a polyp by over-feeding when I first started out reefing. Tonight I will start this feeding schedule:

10-30-17: BRS Reef Chili
    11-4-17: Reef-Roids
    11-9-17: Fauna Marin LPS pellets
    11-14-17: thawed frozen mysis shrimp

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    CorallineAlgae and BluewaterLa like this.
  5. CenlaReefer

BRS Reef Chili
    Just prior to feeding:
    image.jpg

Approx 7 minutes after feeding:
    image.jpg

Arrox 10 minutes after feeding:

image.jpg

My assessment is that even after 10 minutes, I can see some of the food particles stuck to the tentacles. The animal is having a very delayed response in pulling this food in. In my option, this is not an optimal feeding reaction. As we all will see in coming weeks, different foods show a better feeling response and seem to be favored by the coral.

On a side note, that mass of extended tentacles to the lower right indicates that I did not give enough food to that spot. Usually I will spot-feed a bit more when I see this.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  6. CenlaReefer

This swollen, full look after feedings is one of the things I like about LPS corals over SPS corals. There is no guesswork if the coral has received enough nutrition for the week. Lots of tentacles extending at night is also an indicator of good health. I NEVER feed corals with the lights on. This keeps them trained to stay closed during the day more.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    BluewaterLa and CorallineAlgae like this.
  7. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Administrator LARC Supporter

Excellent thread!

BluewaterLa and CenlaReefer like this.
  8. CorallineAlgae

CorallineAlgae Copepod

Great idea to document LPS coral feeding responses to different foods. I know you like the Fauna Marin LPS pellets. I'm tempted to add it to my next BRS order.

BluewaterLa and CenlaReefer like this.
  9. CenlaReefer

Mine are a bit on the older side yet should last a bit longer. I will plan to order some over the coming summer I guess. That Fauna Marin zoa food you have is almost the same thing I guess.

BluewaterLa likes this.
  10. BluewaterLa

I use the Lps pellets too and like them.
    My fish and shrimp seem to like them as well so I have to keep my Mollie miller blenny and shrimp away from corals until they have finished eating or they will go munching.

CenlaReefer likes this.
  11. CenlaReefer

Reef-Roids​

Ready to eat!
    image.jpg

5 minutes after feeding:

image.jpg

I don't think it's necessary to do a second post-feeding picture. I had to go back and try to feed it a second and third time to get the coral to accept more food to get to that nice plumpness/fullness that I like to see, but this animal would not have it. It did show an acceptable feeding response; however, perhaps this is a little bit less desirable than the first food I used.

BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.
  12. BluewaterLa

Perhaps you are on to something with the type of foods.
    In my line of thinking some foods are more nutrient dense and or nutrient sufficient for the corals and what they take in is enough for them so they would not take in anymore food.
    Over feeding can be a bad thing for the coral health in retrospect to its zooxanthellae in ways and the corals have to expel the waste / uneaten foods before said food rots inside its digestive tract.
    For being simple animals compared to many other organisms we keep, Corals are intelligent in ways and are interesting for sure.

Thank you for doing this and keeping everyone up to date on what you are observing with the different foods offered Kevin.

13. CenlaReefer

Mike, you are very welcome. I am trying to prove what foods these animals favor the most. Favored food in my opinion does not stick to tentacles without the animal drawing it in a timely fashion (less than 2 minutes). I am guessing that the thawed frozen mysis may show the best response.

As far as over feeding goes, I heard that same thing about waste rotting inside the digestive tract. The polyp "mouth" is the same place where it ejects waste material. Feeding it again before it has a chance to get rid of waste is a very bad idea. That is why I never feed more often than every 5 days.

As far a intelligence goes, one of these corals ingested pieces of plastic that were left at the bottom of my bare-bottom frag tank. I stirred it up by accident along with some detritus. If it is mixed with tasty stuff, these animals may eat junk... not very smart.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    BluewaterLa and Humblefish like this.
  14. BluewaterLa

Smart, intelligent is used to describe a few different behaviors, survival techniques and reproduction of corals. Being they do not have a brain but can know when its day or night, phases of the moon used to spawn at the same time as others is rather marvelous if you think about it.
    I am aware that they can be selective over what they choose to take down the hatch just by the way it feels or is presented to them so I would have to think that some Non food items make their way into their guts by mistake weather being mixed in with food material or just sheer reaction to something hitting feeding tentacles on a hungry coral.
    I am in no way trying to make a case that corals have intelligence close to animals with functional brains haha.

CenlaReefer likes this.
  15. CenlaReefer

That aspect about the moon and reproduction is marvelous! The fact that they live purely by instinct and do not have brains makes it easier for me not to mind cutting them in pieces to propagate them.

BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  16. clsanchez77

I think the dame way about a large portion of our peers, but I wouldnt dare cut them up into little pieces -bonk-

Thank you for your contribution on this. I dont feed pellets and prefer the preserved animals. This is less nutritionally dense and I feed more. I would like to see some kind of nutritional comparison.

CenlaReefer and BluewaterLa like this.
  17. CenlaReefer

Fauna Marin LPS pellets (mashed to a powder)
    I'm sorry that I rotated this coral a bit before doing this. When I noticed it it was too late to adjust. I want to get this done so I can go to bed with my wife. Here it is before feeding:

image.jpg

Five minutes after feeding:

image.jpg

Wow! This thing looks like the Michelin man! There are very few tentacles that are still extended. To me, this looks like an optimal feeding for a VERY happy coral. In five days, I will test with the thawed mysis shrimp. It's been a while- I believe I may have a similar response for the shrimp.

18. clsanchez77

Wait, you run a reef tank AND still spend quality time with your wife ??? I think mine let me get the reef tank so I would leave her alone...

19. CenlaReefer

LOL! The only thing that keeps me out of the doghouse is that I can make some money from the hobby to almost break even on my spending. I had to give up any thoughts of getting back into beer-brewing. Reefing is the dominant hobby that eclipses most other possibilities for me currently.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  20. BluewaterLa

Same here, wife used to wish she was a fish for a while, Now its '' dont you have something to do with your fish tank ? ''
    Many years of marriage, still would not change a thing in the grand scheme of things.
    '(bk)'

clsanchez77 likes this.