More Katrina Aftermath

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by Anonymous, Sep 29, 2005.

?

Should I remove everything from the tank and do a clean start or try to salvage what I can and do a

Poll closed Oct 14, 2005.
  1. Clean Sweep?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Salvage Operation?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Well after we finally got power on after Katrina, 2.5 weeks later I was able to get my tank pumping water again. We tried to keep it going but the heat ended up being the worst enemy I think. This was a 150gal show tank. It looks like the only thing that is going to survive is a cluster or two of generic brown button polyps and a snake coral, 1 turbo snail and a bunch of these baby snails that were born in the tank, no fish even with air pumps running. Here are a few pics of before the storm and after I finished removing as much dead as possible:

[​IMG]
    8 hours of cleaning the dead funk out
    [​IMG]
    Excuse my camera it really doesn't due the tank justice, Before about 2 months ago
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was about 10-12 months ago
    [​IMG]
    This was about 6 months ago

So I guess I'll just start over, like I have anything else to do, it's just money!

2. let the rock cure in the water, some water changes will be necesary, and once the rock cures suck all the sand and water out and start fresh.

3. I'd try to re-cure the rock and keep doing water changes until your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are back to normal. I'd also get a few pounds of premium live rock and re-seed your current rocks.

4. Right now I have a lot of Red Slime and Hair Algae due to the decay. Amon. is very low. I droped 8 damsels in this past week end and all are fine. I have a daily routine of removing the red slime by vac every day to keep it at bay. I needed to give my substraite a good cleaning been 2 years since the tank was setup.

What do you guys think of not running my lights as much?

I shut the halides off allready, but I still have 6 110 watt vho's running 14 hours a day.

The rock looks good as far as coriline, but I did loose some nice sponges, mini stars by the 100's, pods. I will reseed later with new corals or GARF grunge

5. tnguy86

tnguy86 CrossHatch Trigger Forum Moderator LARC Supporter

when i had my tank set up, there were always things i wanted to change....now's the time...

6. I'm doing the same thing, thguy. I've been wanting to replace my CC substrate with sand, but didn't want the bother of dealing with replacing it and therefore was putting it off. Now that I have the two fish and what inverts I could save safe in TN, I'm going to totally clean out the tank, put in the sand, and recycle. Fun!

7. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

Everything is re-usable. Salvage it!!!!!

Like was said before....I'm sure there was at least one thing you wanted to change about your tank but tearing it down was stopping you....Now's the time to make the changes....use what you have, set it up the way you want it and start over...