MOST EXPENSIVE CORAL I OWN

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Travis, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Well....want to see what a $280 coral looks like? It looks like this....
    [​IMG]

Ok here's the story. Candase, a member of LARC, had some Orange Montipora Capicornus for sale, and she didn't live but 25-35 minutes away from me so I made the drive to pick it up. I pick up the coral and I take the BACK ROADS to get home. So I am driving down the road, no one in front, no one behind. The road is black toped, so it's nice and smooth. Then I notice that the bag is leaking alittle. So I speed up, being only 15-20 minutes away from my house. The speed limit is 55 on this particular road. And guess who is hiding out in the middle of NO WHERE....that's right....a cop. Not just any cop, a STATE TROOPER. So needless to say, I got a ticket. Guess how fast I was going? 81 MPH (that's what he clocked me at, I think i was doing 90 just a few miles back). So I get a speeding ticket for 26 miles over the posted speed limit. $260 thank you very much! I am lucky he didn't cuff me because Louisiana law says that if the driver of a motor vehicle excedes the speedlimit by 25 MPH, that is grounds for an arrest.

The coral only cost me $20, but after trying to save it (the bag was leaking), I get slamed with $260 debit.....That's a whole damn pay check for a collage kid (in the summer time).

Just had to vent....

2. Travis

DUDE! I totaly forgot that those are still leagal in in Louisiana! As soon as I get enough money after paying the ticket, i am definantly gonna invest in one of those!

Thanks!

3. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

that sucks man, if u get a redar detector buy a valentine. Best on the market, i used one on my voyage to flordia this summer, amazing! It would pick of the cops 5 minutes before I could see them, even scans for helecopter and stuff like that for when you go on the basin bridge. They are expensive but worth it

4. Travis

Got any links? I don't like buying crap.

5. Palancar

Palancar Ex-Acan Collector LARC Supporter

Some extra plastic bags would be even cheaper. When traveling on road with fish and corals always pays to be prepared.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I guess I should have told you that I had double bagged the monti coral (I learned that the hard way). I know that is not what you want to hear at this point. Anyway, do you have connections to keep it off your record? Paying just court costs definitely helps insurance wise. Still sucks, but easier to swallow.

7. Travis

I know it was double bagged, but it still leaked lol.

I have some connections, I may be able to get it lessend to a non-moving violation.

8. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

lol, travis i had to laugh at ur story, sorry....sounds like the time I went to Crowley and had just paid a speeding ticket at the courthouse, then get another one while driving back to Lake Charles....i was so pissed at that point, all i said to the cop was "just give me the ticket"...bought a radar detector at walmart after driving back and havent been caught since :lol

just look on the bright side, after u grow the monti and frag it about 20 times, it will already be paid for!! :lol:

9. Travis

Hahahaha

Yeah, maybe I can get people to pay extra if I call it a Montipora Copicornis and tell them the story.

Can you say $50 per inch plus shipping? :D

I have connections with the PD over there, I think I will be able to get it down to like $120 or somthing around there.

But yeah, I am definantly going to be getting a Raidar Detector, not buying anything reef wise until then...Ok, maybe just some Zoas....I AM AN ADICT!! lol.

On a side note, Candace had a really nice tank and some great pieces of coral.

10. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Contest the ticket. Plead not guilty then ask the DA to reduce the ticket to a non-moving violation. You should be able to reduce the cost some what. As long as the state gets some money they are happy. HTH

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I second that motion! The state is only after money...whether it is from a seat belt violation or doing 112 in a 55...they dont care!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think it would have been ok for 15 or 20 minutes in a damp bag.

Did you tell the cop you had a leaking coral bag?
    Some cops just don't get it...

13. SLUSamson

SLUSamson CrossHatch Trigger

you gotta use the **** defense... get out your car looking like you gotta use the toilet REALLY bad... tell them you have to poo and you're about to go on yourself... works every time! :D

14. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

LMAO :D :D "OOH OOH OOHH got to go!!!!!" while bouncing up and down :D

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't think bouncing would help in a real poop emergency.

16. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

you might be right.

17. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

lol I've already gone fast enough to go to jail, (90+ in a 55)and just considered taking a crap in my pants if a cop stopped me. No one wants to put someone in their car with **** in their pants, stinks way tooo bad

18. SLUSamson

SLUSamson CrossHatch Trigger

I'm tellin ya... it works!