Moved tank! Problems began Please Help.

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by robharold, Jul 7, 2006.

1. robharold Montipora Coral

I just moved my tank about a week ago. Shortly after several probelms have begun to occur. Please give me any advice on these problems.

1. My Lawnmower Blenny dissappeared. I assume he is dead but can find no remains.

2. Several crabs and snails apparently died. Empty shells.

3. I'm having an outbreak of hair algae(I think. I never had it before)

4. I am also having a diatom bloom.

pH - 7.9 working on bringing it up
    NH3 = .1 NO2 = 0 NO3 = 0 S/G = 1.027
    CA = 450 KH = 100 PO4 = 0???
    Copper = 0

I don't know what happened. Especially since my parameters seem ok.
    Any suggestions on what could be going on?

55G with 4 gal HOB refugium, dual 65W 50/50 CF, 40 W Actinics, Canister filter, HOB Protein Skimmer, 1 additional 660 powerhead.

Thanks.

2. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

NH3=.1 do you mean your ammonia is .1? It should be 0, so, you may have induced a mini-cycle with moving things, especially if the tank is not very old yet, and fully established with denitrifying bacteria.

3. robharold Montipora Coral

Tiger, I moved to another house about 8 miles from where I was. I left sand and a little water in the bottom but definately stirred it up. I moved all of the livestock in large totes with water from the tank. I discarded about half of the water and added new so as to eliminate any slime and toxins.

Kirk- Yes the ammonia is present but very low. Will this mini cycle cause much harm to the corals? I lost a xenia also but forgot to list it.

I have several types of shrooms, a lg colony of zoas and 2 varieties of star polyps that are doing fine. I also have a med leather that has yet to re-open.

4. Not to discourage you, but we moved our 75 gallon tank about 4 years ago and it took forever to get back in shape. We moved it the same way you did and it seemed to have the same affects as yours. It will get better, just take time..

5. robharold Montipora Coral

thanks. I'll keep watching.

6. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

Sorry to hear about your troubles Rob. Hope things take a turn for the better.

7. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

rob,

A lot of that sounds familiar... I lost a couple fish during my move, one within a couple days and the other within a couple months. Both were definitely related to injuries and stress during the move. Your blenny may have suffered the same fate. For whatever reasons, I also lost quite a few snails. I picked up at least 15-20 off my sand bed during the month following my move.

Algae? You have ALGAE?!?! I had tons of that too. I suspect my tank cycled just a little bit again. I had everything from diatoms, to hair algae, to unknown thick greenish algae. All of which have since gone away. For first month or so after the move though, the tank looked pretty rough!

Just make sure your parameters are holding and do extra water changes and the tank should come around more quickly. Mine did!