moving: move everything or get a coral-sitter?

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Anonymous, Apr 17, 2006.

1. i'm moving to houston at the end of may and i'm not really sure what i'm going to do with my tank. i'm definitely not getting out of the hobby, but i'm trying to decide whether or not i should bother moving all of my existing water and corals.

ideally i'd like for the move to be as simple as possible, but i'm just dreading having to move 100 or so gallons of water along with everything else 5 hours away in a uhaul. i moved everything a year ago, but that was just 5 minutes away so i didn't really have to worry about keeping heaters and powerheads in with the livestock and i could make all the trips i wanted to. if i moved everything to houston, time would be a factor and i'd have to worry about getting everything set back up ASAP.

which do ya'll think would be the better option?

1. move everything and get the tank back up and running the day of the move
    2. move only dry goods + LS/LR (sell livestock), then take my time making new water and setting up the tank

for option 1, what kind of containers would be the best to move the water in? trash cans hold water great but they leave a lot to be desired in the mobility department :D

option 2 seems feasible, and it would give me a chance to kind of get a fresh start. my only concern is that i have some fish/corals that i just cant part with. along with a royal gramma and false perc clown, i have a few sps pieces and a frogspawn that i really want to keep. would any of ya'll be willing to act as a coral-sitter and hold on to them while i get my tank back up and running? maybe i should check with something fishy since finding enough tank real estate in home aquariums might be a challenge. (since some of the coral are attached to LR) in that case i'd just have to worry about them accidentally getting sold!

any input ya'll have is appreciated.

2. citation83bravo

citation83bravo Cleaner Shrimp

i only moved from one stand to another..and still i had a coral-sitter...just incase

I would say give your corals to someone until everything is set up then, when you can go and pick them up

3. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

After having moved my 90 gallon in the past couple of weeks...... If I had to do it all over again then I would sell the entire setup and upgrade at the new place. Or at the very least i would sell most of my corals and fish and get someone to hold the ones I really want. Then set it all up casually over the following weeks.

Moving the tank was not exactly difficult. It was just a very time consuming and tedious process. It took longer to move the tank and set it back up than it did to move everything else in my entire house!

4. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

If you go for option #2, I may be able to hold some corals for you...maybe even a fish or 3 depending on what they are and their size...

The best part about letting me hold them for you is that I travel to houston frequently....during a slow month, I'm there at least 3 days....so I could deliver your livestock to you if you'll drive to whatever airport I'm at....

So far as some advice, I like option #2. It's a big deal to move a tank successfully over a long distance and you cannot really do a big move all at once. Even when I moved my tank from MS to LA, I moved everything else first and then made a special trip just for the tank....of course my situation was different from yours because I could leave the tank set up and running with my wife taking care of it while I was working down here in LA....

You're going to have too much other stuff to worry about during a one time move to have to tear down the tank last before you can drive and then setting it up first when you get to your new place....decide what's easiest to replace and get rid of it....find someone to hang on to what you can't live without.

5. yeah

if you went with option 2 i would advisie getting a bunch of kent marine salt buckets. That is what we used a the LFS i used to work at and they worked VERY well. I also am moving from Ruston to either Houston/Austin/San Antonio in August, and i think i'll be selling most of my corals (except the rare color ones) and will be selling most of my fish. I plan to turn my current setup into a FOWLR and upgrade my reef. I really think you should think upgrade adn sell off your stuff.
    Curt

6. doxyman

doxyman Emerald Crab

I agree, option 2. It's really difficult to move a long distance then immediately setup a tank as soon as you arrive. I had to make the same decision and decided to just sell the livestock, rock and spare equipment.

7. bmb527 Marine Betta

I would recommend selling off your corals and fish, etc., then take your time and set it up once you get the chance. I moved from Denver to BR last summer, and the last thing you want to do after being on the road all day is to have to set up a fish tank. Plus, when I sold off all the fish and coral and L/R, I drained it to move and the smell was un-holy! GOD, I wanted to puke! I couldn't imagine driving with that, x the smell of all the livestock all the way to Houston. HTH
    Bill

8. what do ya'll think about the LS and LR? move it or sell it?

if i sold it all then i'd have all the time in the world to get back up and running, but i'd hate to inconvenience my coral-sitter for that long.

i guess as long as i can sell the LS and LR for reasonable prices then i can break even when i buy more to get set back up? money will be an issue for the first few weeks i live there i think. probably not alot of capital left over for the tank. so upgrading isn't really an option for me unless its just a lighting upgrade (currently running 400W of PC)

if i did move the LS/LR, what sort of container would be the easiest to use?

9. Yeah i would have to say selling it all would be easier than moving even some of it.

10. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

I'd use large round rubbermaid trashcans. You can fill them about halfway with water/rock/sand. Put the lid on them, and be on your way. You wo't have to worry about the water splashing around in those and getting all over out of the can that way.

11. would they still be light enough to load into a uhaul and move around?

12. Well, it wouls still be heavy. If you had a hand helping you, it shouldnt be a problem for a couple of guys. To make things easier, put the rock in a RubberMaid trash can, and put the sand in an ice chest barely submerged in water. HTH

13. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

Keith,
    as a broke college student here, I feel your pain in selling the livestock. I vote for moving it. Maybe find someone with pure O2 and fill the fish bags with it, so they will be comfortable with the journey. If you plan ahead, with extra Water containers, buckets etc..I think youd be alright

14. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

Yeah they would not be a problem. I was able to easily load them into the back of my truck with the help of a friend and I'm not strong by any means.

By the way, I've got two trashcans here that I will never use again. They've only had rocks and sw in them. If you want to save a few bucks.... I also have a couple of five gallon gas cans you can have for pre-mixed water. I made ten gallons or so before moving to make up for any lost water during my move.

15. JohnSPledg Fire Shrimp

One of the biggest problems will be temp. Unless you plan on setting the tank back up around 2 am because you leave at night. The back of a uHaul gets unbarably hot. I have had the glue holding the soles of my tennis shoes melt while unloading trucks in the heat of the day.

16. yeah i probably will end up selling as much as i can and finding somebody to hold what i want to keep. i've been meaning to move from a softie dominated tank to a more lps/sps dominated. this seems like a perfect opportunity.

now i just gotta take pics of all my stuff and make a for sale post, heh