My 105 gallon

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by Anonymous, May 9, 2006.

1. Click the thumbnails for bigger pix!

Installing external Durso's:
    [​IMG]

FPT tees attached to bulkheads with close nipples:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View of the horizontal overflow from left side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready to cut and dry fit. W/D is temporary until I build a sump, just using it to test the plumbing and overflow:
    [​IMG]

Drain plumbing installed. Still "rough" where it empties into the sump. I'll be running a 6" wide or so shelf along the back, notched to accept and steady the plumbing. I angled the plumbing to place a pump in the future for a closed loop (hopefully the shelf will be wide enough). All elbows are 45's, no 90's:
    [​IMG]

I don't have a decent pump yet, so will be testing with a *gasp* Rio 2500. Thinking about a Mag 9.5 for this particular system - at 5' it should push about 750 gph. The real "flow" will come from a closed loop or powerheads.

BTW, I got tired of ftp'ing and linking pictures to my web sites so I signed up with Photobucket - it rocks! Get it if you don't have it - all the code for the thumbnails/links was auto-generated, just copied and pasted (and added my comments).

2. Looks nice!

3. Thanks. Testing it now, everything is working fine, just a wee bit out of level - but it's not in its final resting place. Even so, there's a good 25" of surface skimming. All the dust and gunk from 2 months of sitting empty was gone in about 5 minutes - crystal clear surface ;)

Filling it up:
    [​IMG]

Filled - no leaks. You can just see the street 90's I put in the bulkheads:
    [​IMG]

Overflow in action:
    [​IMG]

Temporary 15 gallon test sump:
    [​IMG]

4. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

looking good!!
    Not to get off subject but how do you make a pic where when you click on it it is full size? I use photobucket too.

5. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Hmmm...can't see the thumbnails... :(

6. It's one of the options when you click "Generate HTML and IMG code".

7. doxyman

doxyman Emerald Crab

Looking great Pete!

8. Thanks :)

Meant to ask you: when you modded the canopy, do you recall the stain that you used to match? I really don't care for the Oceanic canopy design on a tank this deep and it's a two person job to take this one off, so I may build a new canopy.

No biggie if you don't recall, I'm going to jingle Oceanic too.

Anyway... I extended the pipe exhausts underwater to get rid of the splashing - and man are the pipes noisy. The one on the right (straight down) is ok, but the other two are pretty loud. Not gurgling or flushing sounds, just the sound of running water. I used the thin-wall PVC (Schedule 26?), the stuff that's like $1.60 per 10 ft at Lowe's.... would I have that noise with normal schedule 40? I thought that it would be better to have two 45's where you would normally have a 90 to "ease" the flow.

Just to be sure that it was the bends in the pipe causing the noise, I roughed in about 5' of spa-flex (got 20' from Savko pretty cheap). Bingo, nice and quiet. So, I'll probably be re-doing the plumbing from the unions down.

9. A little update:

I replumbed the drains with spa-flex, what a difference - the tank is 6 feet away and there is no noise whatsoever except for a very low trickle sound (can hardly hear it from 6 feet away) and the hum of the pump. There was a little slurping at the bulkheads until I put the 90's on.

Now I need to figure out how to terminate the spa-flex at the sump. As you can see I have them held down for now with cable ties. Thinking about rigid PVC attached to the side of the sump somehow, or building a small catch basin/compartment in the sump to just slide the spa-flex into.

[​IMG][​IMG]