My 110 gal BB sps reef

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by phatstanley02, Jan 18, 2006.

1. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

I figured since Ive finally got the tank up and running I would start a new diary thread for it.

Tank:
    110 gal with single corner overflow
    30gal custom made sump
    cherry stand and custom built canopy

Equipment:
    ASM G3 skimmer
    2x seio 1500 pumps
    Blueline velocity T4 external return pump
    1" sea swirl for return
    2x 250w titanium heaters
    2x 250w 10k MH (1 ushio, 1 reeflux as of now) on spider reflectors
    440w of actinic VHO (not hooked up yet)
    1/2" Starboard (in the mail)

Future Equipment:
    Tunze wavebox (on order from ricks)
    Calcium reactor
    Ozonizer
    Aquacontroller II
    Phosphate meter

I have about 75lbs of rock that have been cooked and will be going in as soon as the starboard comes in. Soon ill order some more rock and cook it for 2 months before it goes in.

heres the FTS (halides only)
    [​IMG]

can you tell which side is the Ushio and which is the Reeflux? ;)

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Ill keep you guys updated.

2. SLUSamson

SLUSamson CrossHatch Trigger

Ushio on left, reeflux on the right :)

3. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

sump is plumbed all in spa flex and everything is 1" (except the pipe for the durso). The end of the sump is drilled and has a 1" bulkhead which goes straight to a 90, then to a ball valve then to another 90 (inward) which goes to a union and the inlet of the Velocity T4. On the outlet side, spa flex runs till the true union ball valve. From there spa flex runs above and across the sump up to a 90, then union, then the sea swirl.

For the Overflow there is a 1.25" durso which goes down to a 1" bulkhead. From there everything else is hardlined in sch. 40 pvc. The run has a bit of a downward slope to prevent air from building up in the pipe. Directly under the bulkhead is a 90 (which was the hardest fitting to get to stop leaking. I had to glue it 3 times and teflon tape the entire joint to get it to stop). From there, there is a short run to a union and from there it goes to the far end of my sump (by the skimmer) where it hits a downward angled 90, then about a 6" run to a 45, then the run ends in the sump with a homemade filter sock.

The aquascaping was INTENSE, but i managed quite a work of art if i may say so myself. I dunno how im gonna squeeze another 80lbs in there.

So far i LOVE the G3 its very quiet (by skimmer standards anyways, you can hear it if the room is silent but i run a window AC unit and that is much louder than the intire tank). im really liking how quiet the entire setup is. It is even quieter than my 30g so far (i dunno how thats gonna hold up once i put some fans in the canopy.

So far im very happy with how everything is turning out. I had the micro-bubble problem but i got that under control now. Hopefully in the next couple months i can start slowly adding fish and maybe a few CHOICE corals. With this tank i am going to be VERY picky about what goes in it. My plans are for it to be sps dominated, but ill still have LPS, zoos, rics, and a few softies in there too.

Is that detailed enough
    :lol:

4. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

You got it Sammy :)

When put next to each other, i was amazed to see how similar the bulbs looked to each other. To the naked eye, the Ushio looks slightly brighter and dare I say *gulp* whiter. The ushio really doesnt look yellow like i remembered it on the old tank, but i gotta keep in mind that the tank is still empty. I could notice a slight pink tinge in the Reeflux when its running next to the ushio though, and since the reeflux is on a electronic ballast now (where according to sanjay it runs a true 10k) it does a bit less blue than it did on the magnetic ballast. cant wait to see what these badboys look like with 440 watts of actinic supplementation

5. looks great jeff :) glad to hear the kinks are starting to unbend. looks like a pretty nice setup. i bet its takin up most of your bedroom though huh? :lol: well keep it comin, you better believe ill be tuned in to see the progress. keep a look out for the 15 gallon coming soon to a "Show Room" near you! ;) . i plan on setting it up when i get back from out of town on sunday evening. None the less, Good luck with the tank man.

6. doxyman

doxyman Emerald Crab

:D :lol:

7. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

well the cabinet isnt actually cherry, but will be stained a cherry, It is Birch and douglas fir. Ill get pictures of it up once i finish it :) (im too impatient, i dont even have the door on it yet and its sitting on my tank lol). It wont be my woodworking masterpiece, but it will suffice.

I picked starboard for a few reasons: 1. Its the "staple" of many BB tanks 2. It will protect the bottom of my tank in a rockslide which i expect to happen at least once or twice 3. Its cheaper than sand, the sheet was about $65 shipped, and at 20+ bucks a bag for sand i would have probably spent $100+ on sand (which i will probably do if i dont like BB)
    4. I dont like the way the tank looks with just the glass for the bottom

As for fish, this may get me in trouble with some people ;). I really have my eyes on some "extremely hard to keep"/"non reef safe" fish. I definately want an achilles tang or possibly a chevron. Also looking to try my luck with either a juvenile emporer or regal angel (yes yes i know the emporer and the achilles will get too big so please no lecture). There will definately be a purple firefish and a pair of saddleback clowns. I also want to keep a potters angel, a small school of dispar or bartlett anthias (possibly swapped for a few exotic wrasse's), and a mandarin. I have also always wanted to keep an eel, so i may try a small snowflake.

I realize Im going to have a somewhat high bioload, but to me the reef isnt fun without the fish that you like. After doing this off and on for 7 years, I want to keep fish that i dont know a whole lot about and fish that ive never kept before. Everything on the list except the clowns and the purple firefish are subject to change.

8. Looks good Jeff ! What did you use to close the closed loop?

9. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

i put new bulkheads in and just got some threaded caps and spray painted them black, wrapped them with a healthy amount of teflon tape, and screwed them in tight. I put in the new bulkheads so if i decide i want to add a closed loop down the road, it will be a snap.

10. not to say that you are jeff, you know were cool and all right. i have to be honest, but every time i see a BB tank, the first thing that comes to my mind is " man this guy was too cheap to put sand in the bottum of a reef tank". it looks too artificial. i guess the reason i like sand in the bottum of a tank is, it looks more realistic. if your gonna mimic the ocean, you cant forget the sand.

11. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

i used to hate BB tanks too, then i saw a few great ones in person. I want to give it a shot to see if the hype is what its made out to be. If i dont like it all i gotta do is put some sand in :) Im also gonna have a lot of flow in here, and i dont wanna deal with sandstorms.

12. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Lookin' good so far Jeff, and welcome to the BB Club :D

13. that last reply was me, i wasnt logged in. :lol:

14. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

got some salifert kits today and i figured i would test my water:

Calcium - 470
    Alk - 9.3 dkh
    Phosphates - 0
    Magnesium - 1500

Of course, promptly after starting the magnesium test I manage to spill 90% of the powder part of the kit. So much for getting my $24 out of that test kit :oops:

15. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

I had the day off today and was able to get quite a bit of work done :). I started staining my canopy and it is coming out very nicely. I also finally got my 4 VHO's installed inside the canopy. Since my auto shutoff system came in the mail i was able to finish my outside RO resevoir. Come to find out my RO unit already had the autoshutoff solenoid installed so i only needed the float valve, so if anyone needs an autoshutoff solenoid i have a brand new one ill let go. To finish everything off I got my auto top-off system setup (not connected to the RO machine in any way). I have the ATO resevoir setup in my closet and run the tubing across the room to the tank with a cap 1800, i dont like having the tubing running across the floor but i love having the resevoir in the closet.

Also bought a used aquacontroller II on reefcentral. Just another thing to add to the list of gadgets :lol: Its becoming scary how much money is piling into this tank and i dont have anything but one measley rock in there :) and i even bought 80% of my stuff used!!

16. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

Heres the first inhabitant of the new tank :lol: [​IMG]

if you guys didnt notice i got a new camera :lol: . I have to say that even with a better camera, photography is extremely hard. I have a new appreciation for those who can take incredible shots. There are soo many tiny nitpicky things that can make or break a photo. Ive been playing with this thing for hours (canon powershot a610) and this is the best pic i have gotten. What do you guys think?

17. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

here is the roughly 70 lbs of cooked live rock i have in there now

[​IMG]

18. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

I know people like to put less rock in a tank so the SPS will have alot of room to gorw in, but that's just rediculous.

lol jk! :lol: Looks nice so far :)

19. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

you gotta remember travis all that was in a 30 before the hurricane 8) I have another 45 lbs of rock from reefermadness in the garage cooking right now. I think im just gonna keep doing boxes of 45 lbs every 2 months or so until im happy with the amount of rock

20. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm