My first tank - back in the day

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by Pettee86, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Here's a couple of old pics I recently came across. It was my first salt tank fish only back in 1988. UG filter with two power heads, 40W NO light, CC for substrate, dead coral for decoration. What you think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rock Beauty Angle, Puffer, Blue Velvet Damsel and Heniochus. I love the Rock Angle

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It looks like a pic right out of one of those old tetra press books.

I hardly ever see the rock beauties these days. They used to be so common.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey that brings back many memories. :D
    had my first salt tank in '86, a 55gal Metaframe w/ 3/8" thick glass. man that thing is heavy for a 55. Still have it, using it as a sump.
    how long did that rock beauty live? I went thru a few of them back then. Never could keep one for long. I really like them too.

4. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Pimpin' system, Pete :)

5. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

boatbuilder - If I remember I had that Rock Beauty for a couple of years. He was a fav of mine. You are right don't see many today.
    Dose anyone know it they are reef safe?

GPReefer - Like the plastic plants.

Best part I still have all of the dead coral and CC. Its all pack up in a box in the attic. Don't know what to do with it. I spent as much for the dead stuff as I have for the live coral I get now. :confused:

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I still have all of mine also. I've always thought about trying to cure it and use it as LR. I'm a little concerned about what it might bring into the tank since it's sat in the garage forever. I probably used copper back then too.

7. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

imperatorfan - I ran copper in my old tanks and from what I'm told the copper bonds to the coral and may leach out. So I wouldn't take the chance.

GP - I'm in the same boat. I've got some nice pieces and just hate to get rid of them.

8. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Pete,

Go buy yourself a sweet beach-house and use it for decoration there :)

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Im glad to see reefkeeping has came a long way! :shock: Thank god, those tanks were terribly in need of some good maintenance, IMO. Im not saying anything mean so i hope no one takes it the wrong way, but im glad to see how much the hobby has evolved and allowed us to keep such beautiful reef tanks. ;) :lol:

10. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

Oh man, I gotta find some old photos of my first sw tank I had while in college. They're in a box somewhere. The memories!!! :D

11. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

I've got a reef tank - I can't affort another house :roll: :roll: :D

Coral-Carl - It was my first tank I thought that the green alge was a good thing :confused:. Was using tap water, RO/DI what is that :D :D

I think that I've come a little ways
    [​IMG]

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh yeah, i would say so!!!!! Nice tank Pete! 8) Looks like your not using CC anymore huh. :lol: :lol:

13. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

Man I'm sure the bubbles made some horrible salt build-up everywhere.