my no plan stand

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Anonymous, Apr 23, 2006.

1. I just built this. I didn't have a plan, or much experience building tables or things of the like. I just made it up as i went along. All in all, I don't this it's too bad. I'm going to put a door on the front, but not today. I'm tired.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my helper. She can fetch tools and use a table saw.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Just one recommendation: Don't get it wet :) Particle board may not have been so good an idea... :(

3. Well to protect against water coat it with Polyurathane or a type of varnish. I made a sweet desk when I was a college student put a grey stain then clear coated it and it held up to a lot of late night spills of various college drinks. I would recoment 2 coats of clear. MDF or Partical board can be fun to work with but you gotta protect it.

my $0.02

4. Thanks for the suggestions. When I built my canopy, I put three coats of exterior latex on it. That seems to be holding up well.

5. i dont know if its such a good idea to have all the weight of the tank (which rests in the rim) offset from the supports. Anyone know if this is okay or not?

6. What you're refering to is actually just for astetics. The weight of the tank is taken by the 3/4" ply which is supported by 4 2X4 legs.

7. gotcha!

8. Forget it. That is a suckey stand. Here's what I got when I put forth half an effort.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fortunatly, I was able to salvage most of the wood.

once again, give credit where credit is due; so here's to my furry muse:
    [​IMG]

9. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

you better seal the hell out of that thing and hope you never have a major spill, other than that looks great!

10. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

100% better than the first, NICE JOB! As others have said, seal it good. Maybe a coat before AND and after you paint it?

11. Thanks. I'm still not 100% pleased, but it's stuff only I will notice once it's painted. I'm hitting the spots prone to hold water with and extra does of primer and will put extra paint on as well. I'll probably be able to put the first coat of paint on tomorrow. I still need to make a door. I haven't quite decided how I want to go about that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

12. ok. Stand is done, painted, and has an aquarium on top of it. As far as closing in the bottom, I think i'm just going to put up a curtian. That seems like it will look decent and be cheap and not very labor intensive.

The whole thing:
    [​IMG]

I added a hinged door on the canopy so you can look at the tank without squinting:
    [​IMG]

don't worry, it only looks like an electrical fire waiting to happen:
    [​IMG]