My reef

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by cwale, Feb 12, 2006.

1. cwale

cwale Emerald Crab

Yes, I am a newbie, and I have several questions. Hopefully I can get a few answers, This is all new territory to me.
    Here are a few things to begin with
    I purchased the aquarium used from Melnguy (THANKYOU)
    It is a 135 with approx 50 gal in the sump. (Please see photos below)
    The salinity is approx 1.021
    I currently have 100 lbs of live pink fiji sand in the main tank and 65 lbs of fiji rock from paradise pets. I also have a refugium with approx 15 lbs of miracle mud and a handful of calupera. I have vho lights with actinics on for 8 hours and daylight on for 6 hours as well as moonlight LEDs for night time. There is also one snail in there that came on the rock by accident.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my question, I know it is brown algae growing all over the sand and rock. The tank has only been running for two weeks and I am wondering when I should start putting in my reef cleaners. Also if anyone has any pointers or corrections for me I would appreceate them. And the plan is to do a reef type aquarium. Thanks

2. shag26272

shag26272 Peacock Mantis Shrimp

I would say you can add them also , especially if the rock is already cured

3. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

Just to be different, and safe....I say don't add anything until you test for ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate. Even if the rock was supposedly cured and especially if it was not...the only way to get cured rock is to take it from an already established tank from across town or closer. Shipped rock, no matter how cured it is supposed to be, will never ever arrive at your door in a "plug & play" contition.

get the test kits....do some reading on the "nitrogen cycle" and when your water tests as it should, wait another week and be sure of the water tests, THEN add your clean up crew. This hobby does not often yield long term success to those that rely on the SWAG theory of reef-keeping.

<Scientific Wild Arsed Guess>

4. shag26272

shag26272 Peacock Mantis Shrimp

I was under the impression that the rock and sand is cured. If it isnt then I would wait at least another week even if the water tested ok. Like Jlouv said though there is not substitue for testing. But if your rock and sand is cured and your water tests ok you should be fine to add them. Also I think some people might keep there salinity at 1.021 I think its kind of on the low end, it might work out fine though but I like mine at 1.024 or 1.025

5. cwale

cwale Emerald Crab

sand and rock is cured for sure. I am waiting on a new test kit to come in, as soon as it is here I will give you some results. I appreciate the feedback.

6. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

just a suggestion....if your goal is to do a reef tank, you might consider taking out the "bioballs" and biomedia in that wet/dry filter to the right of your skimmer....its not necessary for a reef tank and acually causes increased nitrate...also your skimmer looks like its pulling out a wet/light colored skimmate...try to lower the riser pipe a little bit to get a darker skimmate...hope this helps, and good start to your tank!

7. SLoTH531 Peppermint Shrimp

for some odd reason that tank loooks extreamly familer....lol :lol: .

chip the tank looks awsome!!

8. cwale

cwale Emerald Crab

Well, I am moving along, here are a few pics from last night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those aren't the best shots in the world, but I think the aqarium is coming along well.

9. Nice Gorgonian! ;)

10. cwale

cwale Emerald Crab

Ok, 'bout time for an update, I am really enjoying the reefing. This is the most relaxing and challenging hobby I have ever had. I am seeing alot of growth and the following pictures just don't do this thing justice, but here goes:

This is just a full shot:
    [​IMG]

This is the filtration
    [​IMG]

This is the Refugium, Is it okay to have this much calupera?
    [​IMG]

This is the left side
    [​IMG]

The middle
    [​IMG]

The Right
    [​IMG]

The Interior
    [​IMG]

A couple of the fish and corals
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let me know what you think. I love my hammer, just got it from paradise pets. Oh, and lest I forget, this thread may need to be moved to the showroom. Far be it from me to upset the moderator gods.....lol

11. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Coming along nicely. Since you asked, trim back your Caulerpa periodically, freeze it in a ziplock, then trash it. I have had Caulerpa release its gametes into my old tank when it got really crowded out.

12. calurpa

i would suggest putting some Cheato in the fuge instead of calurpa. I would keep both, but would try to rely on Cheato more. There are many benefits to the cheato over the calurpa.
    Curt

13. cwale

cwale Emerald Crab

Really, I don't really know what differences there are between the two. I was gven the calupera (sp). Please give more info, I am all ears for advice.

14. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Well, chaeto looks like a big green brillo pad....it doesn't do some of the bad things that caulerpa can potentially do, like enter a sexual stage and release all of its spores into the water, supposedly to the detriment of tank inhabitants. I've had it happen to my tanks in the past, with no apparent affect on corals or fish. Not to say it doesn't happen...guess it depends on what you're keeping.