Need help on Xenia frag

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Anonymous, May 4, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I purchased a Xenia online and I'm not sure of what I'm doing to make sure he's happy in my tank.

I superglued it to a piece of rubble and he doesn't seem too healthy. Not sure what to expect though. Just got yesterday.

His pom's are not pulsating, actually kind of shriveled. Do they open back up?

Someone help please!

Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Xenia is notorious for not shipping very well.

The best thing for it now, is to make sure your water stays in good shape, and give it some time.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I went home for lunch and my xenia has magically disappeared. Don't know if someone (fish) ate it. I will look harder when I get home.

That was a $50.00 mistake.

Thanks for the response.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It might have moved. Superglue isn't really the best method for attaching softies like that. I would try rubberbanding it to a rock or tieing it on until it attaches. I've heard stories of Xenia not wanting to attach and letting go and moving. So, all is not lost yet. I might just be somewhere in the rock work. I got a small piece about two weeks ago, and if it decides to take off, I'll be fragging it out. If you don't want to wait a few months, buying from a fish store would probably be a better option.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Zash

When will the club be having another get together? I would love to go.

Let me know.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks!!!

8. robharold

robharold Montipora Coral

Nothing for May thru July?? Oh well anything good is worth waiting for.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not unless anyone else steps up to the plate. I would try to host one sometime, but I doubt people would want to gawk at a ten gallon mushroom tank that's still pretty barren.

10. robharold

robharold Montipora Coral

That is how I feel. After I get moved into the new house and start actually getting tank filled, maybe I too will host. We'll See

11. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

there are a few ppl in lafayette that should have xenia to frag just post that your looking for xenia in the frags and trading section...ppl just give that stuff away or if not dirt cheap, no reason to pay premium price for it.

12. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

$50 for Xenia??? That's a rip. It's so common, people are usually GIVING it away as it takes their tanks over.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Must be Pom-Poms, i know the industry likes to rip people off from time to time for this well known reef weed. And no, it doesnt ship very well at all.

14. bmb527

bmb527 Marine Betta

If you manage to find it, get some mesh, such as that used for bridal veils, you only need a little bit. Then put your Xenia on a small piece of L/R and wrap the whole mess in the mesh. rubber band it together, like a LFS closes a fish bag, and set it in your tank for a week or 2. the Xenia will attach to the rock, start pulsing and then you can remove the mesh and place it where you like it.
    Remember, they do not like too much flow. they also like the water with some nitrates. They pretty much like the water about the same as for clams if you have any.
    What type of Xenia cost $50? If it was Bali Giant or True Blue, you got a fair price, if it was Pom-Pom you paid too much, if it was Elongata,... report the perpetrator in the Vendor Experiences forum. That stuff is usually free even in the LFS, (at least in Denver it was). There are some types that go for over $100/ stalk!
    Hope this helped. there is also some great info on Xenia culturing on GARF.org.
    Bill

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have spend soooo much on Xenia, it's not even funny. I just want something pulsating in my tank. I love the sight of the pom pom. I've bought online and yes, didnt work out too well. This last shipment will be the last online xenia purchase ever.

Thanks for the advice on posting my wants in the trading, I should have done that from the beginning.

bmb, I discovered garf.org. Great source of info.

16. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

CVP7900 PM me when you want some Zenia Frags. My Zenia grows like weeds and I see you are pretty close to me.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i have some xenia. just got it today from paw paws. im gonna go ahead and reccomend it, not for their stuff, but for customer service. i went in a few weeks ago and bought some fish (a apir of perculas) which when i got home both died of ich. we were mad too. but i went back the next day to get my money back, cuz the gir lsaid there was a three day return policy. they wouldnt take em back the next day. but i came back today to give em one last chance, and i was quite pleased. i told the guy there my story of what happened and gave me a free zoa rock. so i bought a chunk o LR and zenia, plus some invert smorgasbord. later on as i was goin down the road, i looked at the recipte and saw the cashier didnt charge me for the xenia either. wat a day. :lol:

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sweet. I have some xenia now and love it!! Grows fast.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

when i put the xenia in the tank it unfolded its branches but went limp. i called the guy at the store and he said that was normal and tht was how theirs were when thy first put em in the tank. he also found i didnt pay for it, but ill gladly pay whenever i have a chance to ;) but my pH was a low for some reason when i put it in, but its back up now. i think it was in the tank 15-20 mins be fore i noticed tho. the dude sed itd be alright and to just give it some time

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Mine came in almost dead looking & within a week, there were tiny xenia growing everywhere. Give it time. Will be ok. :D