Need major help......

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by southerncoralfarms, Apr 28, 2006.

1. southerncoralfarms

southerncoralfarms Black Perc

Ok...here it goes...... yesterday, I switched out my Sequence Hammerhead for one of the more high pressure ones...... Well..... The filter media in my overflow clogged up the holes and the tank overflowed.... It was raining on the first floor of the garage...... The lights shorted out and every electrical component to the tank..... I got everything dried out and back and running, except..... the only water I had available had kalk in it (I forgot about this....... before I added it). Anyway..... the tank was cloudy all yesterday and I had microbubbles all over the place until I cut the flow from the pump way back.... This morning.... almost all of the acros are losing their color. They aren't bleaching or RTN'ing, but you aren't their vibrant colors. The pH and everything else is stabilized. Anyone have a clue?????? Thank you in advance....

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ouch ... sorry to hear that. Might not be as bad as you think if the water is still cloudy from kalk and bubbles. You might be seeing 'less vibrant' acros because their appearance is being washed out by the lack of clarity in the water.

If all param's are stable it might be best to just wait and do some degree of water change. I would've expected some kind of change in cal/alk/ph. You might want to check regularly (too much invested)

Good luck!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

big water changes should help. if you need RODI water fast I can start filling 5 gal jugs and bring them to you. anything to help out a fellow reefer.

4. southerncoralfarms

thanks guys..... but i have an RODI unit that can produce 120 gallons/day...but I really really appreciate it. The polyps on my stags are starting to come back out, but the colors just aren't there...... I hope that a few days will help things. All the parameters are perfect.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

if you need anything Southern just shoot me an email or call. you still have my number?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

glad to hear things are starting to sound ok. That must've put a scare into ya!

7. southerncoralfarms

i just had a filter pad in it to catch some of the big things and it clogged one of the bulkheads....kind of like sucking up something too big in a vacuum cleaner hose.

8. southerncoralfarms

the color in some of my prized pieces, like my 7.5" blue tort is starting to return.....

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Shane,

It sounds like they may have been tramatized some and expelled some of their zooanthella. If your water parameters are fine they will all likely recover fine.It can take a little time for some of them to get their full color back others will come back quickly. When they expell they do open up some and can allow unwanted bacteria in causing an RTN or STN from the base up. This happens usually if the specimen is adjusting to a new tank from the wild. If they are well established in the tank and the parameters are good they have some immunity to the bacteria in the system. Water changes never hurt, If they start losing tissue at the base I know people that have actually used, erythromyacin soaks(not in the main tank) with success to stop the STN/RTN. I haven't done it personally so I dont know the desired dose.

Michael

10. southerncoralfarms

i have a nice tank full of what appear to be RTN'd acros...... but... the funny thing is..... they still have polyp extension??? What is the deal with this???? The other thing I was thinking that I did when I added the new pump, was use PVC blue cement to secure the plumbing. Do ya'll think this could cause some toxicity??

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds like you have a nice tank full of bleached corals. See meb001's comments below only change ' expelled some of their zoox' to 'expelled nearly all of their zoox'.

If that's the case, then you still have a chance at some % of survival but I'd have to say things don't look too good if you're saying that most/all have fully bleached.

When did this happen (how long after kalk incident) and how long did it take for the corals to turn white?

This really sux .. you have such a nice tank with incredible corals (not to mention the $'s involved):( . I hope they recover.

12. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

I am no expert but this is how I understand it...Kalk has a PH of something like 12!!! That being introduced into your system too fast would be a very bad thing!! That is why it is either dripped into the system or added with the top off water.

13. southerncoralfarms

i can tell you that I added about 35 gallons of kalk saturated water in a matter of about 5 minutes...... I can imagine what the pH climbed up to. That would make sense, because the fish are perfectly fine. I can just chalk it up to experience and always have about 100 gallons of salt water mixed at ALL times...... Hopefully it would never happen again.... I'm just going to drain the water out, refill it and start all over again.. It took me all of a month and a half to fill the tank with acros and have them encrusting, so it isn't like I years invested in it, right?? That is how I'm trying to soothe myself right now.... Also....there were traces of ammonia that came from somewhere???? This happended before the acros started to bleach. All of the acros lost their color within minutes and the actual bleaching took about 4 days....But what has me puzzled is one stag that is all happy with its polyps extended, yet it is a white as a ghost....???

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've had bleached portions of acro's still have polyp extension. That's really the easiest way to tell the difference between bleached and RTN'd short of seeing the tissue actually peel off during an RTN. Sounds like one of your more durable corals. Hopefully it'll repopulate it's zoox.

Sorry to get OT, but this raises an interesting question. Some "RC experts" are claiming lately that the zoox does not produce the color of the coral (just brown). If that's the case, then why would we get a pure white color after bleaching? I think I'll pitch this one out there for the RC crowd. Maybe during bleaching they expel more than just zoox? :confused: