Need overflow help

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Romitaz, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

What is the best external overflow for a 55 gallon tank with a 29 gallon sump?

2. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Check out http://www.lifereef.com. Supposed to be the ONLY external overflow that never loses its suction.

3. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

LR's Overflow boxes don't look much different from any other U-Tube style overflow box.

4. Kirk_M

Travis,

I thought the same thing. I don't know what it is about the LR design, but, Jeff's website states that in 22+ years of making these overflow boxes, NOT A SINGLE ONE HAS BEEN REPORTED TO HAVE FAILED TO RESTART after power loss.

I have no clue as to why or why not... :roll:

5. Travis

I'm running a U-tube that is the exact same design and I have NEVER had a problem with the syphon breaking. I think it has something to do with those baffles in the back. I've seen some OFBs and they didn't have any baffles. I would think that they would break syphon when the pump gets turned off.

6. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

Okay, I'm going with the lifereef. Now, what is the best size? The 600 or the 1400 dual? Also, what would be a good sized return pump for this set up?

7. Travis

My tip-of-the-day would have to be to run only a little bit of waterflow through your sump. That way it reduces the amount of bubbles and also reduces the amount of noise coming from the tank.

8. Kirk_M

I'd think the 600 gph should be adequate...Match it with a 600 gph pump, like an Eheim 1260 (635 gph @ 0ft head), and you'll probably be fine. How far from your sump to the rim of the tank? If you're at about 4 feet, the Eheim should NEVER overpower the u-tube's drain rate... Get your tank flow from a recirculating pump on a closed loop, or from a Tunze stream, rather than from your return pump. A good slow flow from tank to sump will enhance protein skimming, and, nutrient export to your refugium, if you run one.

HTH,

Kirk

9. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

Sump to tank top is 5 feet. I can't drill this tank so unless I run a loop over the rim, I may have to use internal powerheads. It has a Seio 1100 on it right now.