need some advise HOB overflow

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Anonymous, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I want to add a 15 gallon sump (thats all that will fit under my 55). My tank is not drilled, nor do i want to attempt to drill it. What i want is a hob overflow system that is as fault proof as possible. I cant flood my duplex or i'd have some very serious problems. I really need advise on which overflow to chose, and how to figure out what return pump i need. I also need to know what to use to prevent overflowing (check valves and such) If you can think of anything larger that would fit under a 55 let me know.
    Curt

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the lifereef one looks exactly like what i want, but holy crap thats expensive for something that doesnt look very difficult to make. Anyone know of a cheaper one that still uses the siphon tube design? Also, how do you match the pump output to the siphon?
    Curt

3. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

GPreefer is right on, he had to experience my HOB overflows while I was away for a month :lol:

4. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

:roll: errr...make that 2 people.

One of those huge turbo snails crawled up into a U tube one day....nuked my tank with about 40g of freshwater AND a fresh batch of kalk in the reactor...

Sad part was that I was sitting 2 rooms away!!

You should have seen how pissed my powder blue tang was when I dropped it and ALL the corals in my tank in a 5g tank with my mantis shrimp!!! In retrospect, I shouldv'e taken a picture :D

5. bmb527

bmb527 Marine Betta

I've got an Amiracle overflow that was one of 2 that came with my old 135 that has been running fine since '93. I'm not using it anymore because I only have a 20 up and running currently. They are all about the same. If you keep them clean, you will never have of a problem. This is my experience.
    Bill

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok

so if i was to order the 700gph lifereef overflow, what would be a good pump to get to power my return. My stand is 36" tall and it is a standard 55 gallon aquarium. So the pump would be pumping up what 58 inches? I just dont think i can afford that big of a pump, and the overflow. anyone have any experiences with the HOB fuges?
    Curt

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

diy for 15-20 bucks

i found a DIY overflow and it seems you can make it for around 15-20 bucks. It is all pvc, and doesnt look as clean, but will never lose siphon and if made correctly they are quiet. I'll inform yall of what i come up with. Will link the design soon.
    Curt

8. bmb527

bmb527 Marine Betta

When do dou need the overflow? I have one that you could have. It just needs a good cleaning and it will be as good as new.
    Bill

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

awesome

The $15 diy pvc overflow works like a charm. I did several tests with it earlier, even simulated "power outages" and it worked like a charm everytime. I have to go back and glue everything into place and paint the pvc, but i'll take pics as soon as i can.
    Curt