NEW lights @ IMAC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by JLouv, May 4, 2006.

1. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

Check this out ya'll....

They're expensive....but what I've heard first hand is that they are going to blow away everything we know about reef lighting.

The following is a collection of posts by various authors from RAG....

Here's the pic:

A LED hood!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Some specs:

Includes Solaris LED Hood, 8’ Detachable Cord to Remote 120V Power Supply, and Moon Lights. The system will be set for approximately 20K color. Without the Control Module the color will not be adjustable. The control module needs to be installed at the factory at time of order. (Note: PFO reserves the right to make changes without prior notification.)

Warranty:
    The system is warranted for two years to the original purchaser. However, the white LED’s are expected to last 50,000 hours and the blue LED’s are expected to last 100,000 hours.
    Installation Precautions:
    The LED’s will have premature failure if they get too hot for an extended period of time. Ensure that there is good air circulation around hood. It is best to mount the LED’s over the tank via the stands or PFO Pendant Hanger Kit(Not Included). Be extremely careful about air circulation mounting inside canopies. If installing in canopies be aware the cables come out the end and add length for cable bending beyond stated length.

SOLARIS
    Pricing Effective Through May 4, 2006

13” $449.00 24” $799.00 36” $1,229.00 48” $1,499.00 60” $1,799.00 72” $1,999.00
    The expected ship date is scheduled for early July 2006. However, PFO Lighting reserves the right to change the date due to unforeseen circumstances.

Control Module
    The blue LED’s, white LED’s, and Moon Light LED’s are controlled independently and will be dimmed using Pulse Width Modulation. The control module has a built in timer and microprocessor which controls each group of LED’s independently. With the control module you can dial in the exact color of light ranging from 6.5K to 20K by adjusting the Blue LED’s Light output. To set the following variables you will go to PFO Website enter the values on the LED Control Board Page. The new values will be downloaded to your computer and then you will transfer the file from your computer
    to the Solaris LED Light fixture via a USB cable. The current time will be set by your computer clock. When the Solaris LED Light Fixture has been reset, all lights will momentarily turn on and then it will look at what time it is and set all LED values to the specified values. I.e.. if it is half way through sunrise then all values would be set at 50% of maximum Daylight Options. The microprocessor will update LED light output values constantly.(Note: PFO reserves the right to make changes without prior notification.)
    Sunrise Options Default Settings Sunrise Start Time 8AM
    Sunrise Time Length Blue 30 min
    Sunrise Time Length White 30 min Sunrise Time Length Night Lights 30 min
    Daylight Options Daylight % Blues 100%
    Daylight % Whites 100% Daylight % Night Lights 100%
    Cloud Cover
    % decrease from Daylight Full Brightness 0
    Frequency between Clouds
    Length of Cloud cover
    Sunset Options Default Settings
    Sunset Start Time 7:00 PM
    Sunset Time Length Blue 90 min
    Sunset Time Length White 30 min
    Sunset Time Length Night Lights 90 min
    Night Settings
    Night Start Time 8:30PM
    Length of Night Lights 700 min
    Night % Blues 0
    Night % Whites 0
    Night % Night Lights 100%
    Set for 28 Day Moon Cycle ON

WWW.PFOLIGHTING.COM 800-577-9690

The website:
    http://www.pfolighting.com/Aquarium-LED-Lighting.aspx

What about PAR???

From a demonstration performed live at IMAC: Compared to a 20k XM 250 watt bulb. The hoods were at the exact same distance from the water's surface. PAR for the XM was 127.... PAR for the LEDS was 352 +/- 20 depending on how steady you held your hand.

My next tank is sooooo gonna have this!!! If you could plug a fan and a water pump into it, you could even simulate storms!!!

2. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

so you can go from 20,000k in the morning to 6500k back to 20,000k?

very nice in theory-i dont wanna be the guinea pig that shells out $1500 on unproven technology to find out tho!

it says they compared them to a 250 MH- at teh same distance and the par was almost 3x's as much? LED's dont have the heat issues associated with other lighting, so that means you could place them an inch above the water resulting in even more PAR, right?

Im curious tho- with LED moonlights, you still have the point-source light effect (i.e. glimmer lines) will these fixtures be capable of this?

3. neat

This is very interesting, i'll be following this product closely.
    Curt

4. southerncoralfarms

southerncoralfarms Black Perc

too much light isn't always good...... can you say photoinhibition?? I don't think a PAR that high is beneficial to growth rate or color retention of sps in particular.

5. LMAO! So true! Amazing idea though. Prices will go down eventually. I'll wait.

6. renfest1

renfest1 Kole Tang

Perhaps a roofer from New Orleans is running that sales team.

7. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

3x the par? I cant see that being a good thing. So many people are having problems with too much light from halides the way they are right now.

8. southerncoralfarms

You would have to hang the fixture about five feet above the tank so that the sps didn't bleach from too high of a PAR....

9. southerncoralfarms

it would be interesting to see it in action though.....

10. SLUSamson

SLUSamson CrossHatch Trigger

couldn't you just program it to lower it's intensity and gradually bring it up to acclimate your corals? just think that the PAR of the sun is... i want one of those fixtures! i wish they made one you could retrofit though... :(

11. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Interesting to say the least, but I am alittle sceptacle of how well they would perform.

12. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

I'm quite sure all of ya'll will have a chance to see it in action at MACNA in a few months.....

13. Wow, this could be really cool. Is there any info available on power consumption to create that intensity?

The price is way high, but that would be offset to some degree by 5 years worth of metal halide bulbs. That's an $800-$1000 reduction in price for the 72" model (what I'd use). Of course there's no way of knowing how it would perfrom in year 5. Do led's slowy degrade in intensity like all other lighting?

Also, I'm guessing you could control the max par levels if you can control the color by adjusting blue strength vs white strength.

jcraft, I'd be willing to bet that the way they have it set up with all the lights bundled tightly together would reduce or eliminate the shimmering effect because the light is distributed. Just a guess (hopefully wrong).

14. Tank102a

Tank102a Postasaurus Rex

I'm setting up a new system and might consider taking the plunge. :D Especially if the LEDs can save me from buying a chiller (since they run much cooler than MH, I already plan to connect a A/C duct to the sump room), and if the power consumption cost is less. How much light do they provide and is it going to be enough to penetrate 30 in deep tank?

15. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

That's a very good question that I've been pondering myself.....will the light penetrate to the depths of our tanks??

I have to plead ignorance as I simply just do not know. All the information presented in my first post was gathered from various other people who attended IMAC this last weekend....I was unable to attend, but because of that, guaranteed my ability to be @ MACNA!!!

16. robharold Montipora Coral

I definately will not be able to attend MACNA since I just bought a house. Please get good info for me. I will eventually have to upgrade my lights and would love, from the looks of them, to get these. Then I only upgrade once and can do anything I want to.

17. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

The price figures at about $50/inch...it gets less for a longer hood...

From what I can gather, almost the total amount of that cost is for the circuit board that the bulbs are plugged directly into...

But regardless, IMO, this hood with the controller and all the options it offers make it more than worthwhile for a serious tank....and that's not even taking into account low heat, and low power...I'm afraid a retrofit or a DIY hood of this type is going to be a ways off in the future...

18. southerncoralfarms

also, what is the distribution of the light.... For example, my new tank will be 120"L X 36"L X 30" H..... Would I actually need 4 of the 60" units??? That is pretty expensive..... even for me! We are talking $6,000 for lights??? I can stagger 6 400W halides for much cheaper..... like $1500.00..... I could find a better place to spend $4500.00.......