New sump plans and questions

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Romitaz, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

First le me warn you, this is going to take a while. This is my set up and plan. First of all, I have a seven foot 70 some odd gallon custom tank that has four holes drilled for 1 inch bulk heads across the back. The holes are 1.75 inches in diameter. Would I need schedule 40 or 80 1inch bulkheads for this? The holes are behind two 24" overflows with two holes for each overflow. I plan on using 1 in. I.D. reinforced tubing on each of the bulkheads. The two for the drain I will just let dump into one side of the sump. I plan on using a mag 9 or 12 for the return with a piece of PVC going from the pump to a T then to the two lines back to the tank. Any problems or better ways so far? Next, I will be using a Euro-Reef ES5-2 skimmer at the end with the drains from the tank.I plan on putting three baffles about 12" from the end for the skimmer to sit in and where the tank will drain into. I will run the first baffle from the bottom of the sump to about half way up the sump. The seond baffle will start about 2 inches from the bottom and run about an inch above the first baffle. The third baffle will be the same as the first. I will then have about 18-22" of space for a refugium then I will run a second set of baffles about 12" from the other end in the same configuration for the return pump to sit in. Using this set up, I plan to accomplish four things. First, with the baffles only running half way up the side of the sump, I will have plenty of room if the return pump dies and the water from the tank drains into the sump. There can only be about ten gallons comming from the tank bacause of the overflows(which are water tight). Second, with only 12" in the return section, if the drains stop up for some reason only a few gallons can go into the main tank from the sump, thus preventing the main tank from overflowing. Third, with this much space and six baffles, I hope to eliminate most micro bubbles from reaching the main tank. Finally, with the baffles, I hope to slow down the water enough in the fuge to have good nutrient export there. Also, I will have a 40 gallon gravity feeding the tank for top off. It will have a float valve in the fuge that opens whenever the water level drops. This was I should only have to add water to the 40 every couple of months :lol: Okay, that's about it. How does all of this sound? Am I missing anything? Did I leave out any explanations? Is there a better way to do this? and Finally does anyone forsee any probs with this set up? Pumps too large/small? Anything? By the way, the pump will be pushing water 5'3" to the tank.( I have a giant stand on this tank)

2. Tank102a

Tank102a Postasaurus Rex

Instead of using a T your should consider a Y with two 45's to reduce head pressure. By the way have you calculated head pressure, because what you have described it does not sound like a mag9 can handle the work load.

3. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

is there a calculator for such a thing somewhere?

4. doxyman

doxyman Emerald Crab

5. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

What about the rest of the plan? Sound good? A better way? Also, do I need to match my return gph with the drain gph? If so, I need another calculator to determine the volume of two 1 inch drains going straight into the sump.

6. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

Rob, I know you are a good plumbing guy. Any comments or ideas for improvement? Also, I just want to thank you again for the rock! It is now in three different tank and looks fab! By the way, we got the mantis out and it is living happily in it's own little tank.

7. doxyman

doxyman Emerald Crab

From what you describe it sounds similar to a sump I had on a prop system awhile ago (ES5-2, Mag 9, fuge) that worked really well. You'll need a constant 7"-8" water level for the ER skimmer and possibly a larger pump if you want to split the return line. Also, I would add a bypass valve off the return to control the flow without adding back pressure to the pump. It's difficult to explain but I have some pics I can send (have them at home). If you want to see a few pics of the old sump I have them in my gallery on RC...http://reefcentral.com/gallery/show...sort=1&perpage=12&papass=&ppuser=26464&stype=

As for the GPH question you don't need to match the flow. If the pump is pumping 400 gph into the tank, the drains are only going to drain 400 gph to the sump. The only way you would run into problems is if your pump is sending more water into the tank than what the drains can handle. There is another calculator that should help...http://reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

8. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

would it be better to put the skimmer after the refugium?

9. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

anyone?

10. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

skimmer before the fuge.

11. doxyman

doxyman Emerald Crab

I have read that the skimmer should go first, allowing it work with the raw water, then letting the refugium take care of the rest.

12. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

Cool! Thanks guys. I'll photo it (if I find the camera)and show the finished product.