New Tank in Progress

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by Anonymous, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Just getting around to setting up a new tank after Hurricane Katrina, instead of setting up my 90, ive decided to set up my new 15 Gallon Cube, that i got from my buddy Shawn.

The tank w/ 2 18 watt compact flos 18 watt daylight, 18 watt actintic

[​IMG]

Via Aqua Multi-Skimmer Deluxe w/ UV (original filtration)

[​IMG]

Seio 620 for flow

[​IMG]

Stay Tuned, rock will be done curing soon.....

2. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

Carl you should ditch that POS via aqua for a bakpak or aquaC or coralife super skimmer :lol:

3. Think so, which one do you think would be the best, well best suited for the tank that is. Probably only going to do do lps, zoos, and shrooms, unless i get a 70 watt halide to hang over it and then i will do a small sps tank. I dont know well see

4. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

i think the aquaC probably has the most solid repuation for performance, but many people have had great success with the coralife SS

5. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

I've never used a CLSS, but I am running an AquaC Remora on my 20H BB SPS tank, and I am getting MUD in the collection cup. I only have 4 snails in the tank right now, and very little LR.

6. Romitaz

Romitaz Black Perc

I get great gunk from my Aqua C but I also get Hella micro bubbles. It is driving me insane!

7. Travis

Mine did that too for the first few months. I think the reason for that is because the Oxygen levels in the tank are dramaticaly increasing. Therfore you get bubbles. It takes awhile for the levels to even out and no more bubbles.

I used to run mine as a hang on, but now I have it running in the sump.

8. OK i think im going scrap the whole HOB filter idea, and im gonna use a custom built acrylic sump/fuge. I might still start the tank and get it up and running with the HOB filter. Im going to be using a continuos siphon overflow box and maybe a mag 3 for return, seio 620 for circulation. Anyone think i should go with a bigger pump for return? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

9. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

id say a mag 5 but thats just me

10. Do you think a Mag 7 would be too much, even if its going to be pushing water almost 4 feet high?

11. Travis

A Mag-7 would do well. Just split it up into 4 outlets so you don't have jet streams.

12. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

if your gonna put sps in this tank i dont think a mag 7 would be too much.

13. Travis

Be sure to put a Gate Valve on the return of the Mag-7 so that you can adjust the amount of flow.

14. yeah i already thought about putting a gate valve on it definitely. i dont really know if i wanna do sps in that tank, then i gotta buy a 70 watt halide to hang over it.... ahhhhh, i guess i could im just anxious to set it up and i dont want to wait any longer. plus dont you think that tank would really get crowded with a bunch of sps growing out in it. i think i might try to set my 12 gallon up and do sps in that. i have 2 96 watt PCs to put over that sucker. that should be more than enough for that tank.well see!

15. yeah i think im going to definitely go sump with the 15 gallon. i will use the mag 7 , ill just valve it so i can dial it back. Im gonna "T" it and make 2 outlets, that should be perfect. I just ordered an ASM Mini G skimmer for it. now i just need to go get the acrylic so i can start on the sump. ;)

16. southerncoralfarms

southerncoralfarms Black Perc

Carl, you can spare all of the trouble and I can just donate 5 square feet of my new tank to you to use! That way you don't have to decide on anything!!!! Your sump idea sounds like an awesome plan...definately a mag 7.

17. im not really gonna set up a 12 gallon sps tank, although i would be up for the challenge. thats ok because in about 8 or 9 months or so ill be looking to buy a new house somewhere, havent really figured out where i will be moving. All i know is i still have my 90 gallon that i think i will turn into a fish only system, maybe a small agressive tank with some live rock. Im debating a 180 or 210 gallon reef, ASM G4 Skimmer, 4 250 watt 20K halides, 4 Super Actinic VHOs, havent really given much thought for a return pump, but i know i want the circulation built under my rock stack, that way i dont have power heads hanging in my tank taking up valuable real estate. basically my stack will sit on a PVC structure, still alot of planning for a tank that size. i really want to set up a split reef with a trench dividing 2 seperate reefs, one larger and a smaller island reef on the right. i just dont think i can pull it off the way i see it in my head in a 90 gallon tank, although my 90 was the bomb! whatever happens you guys will see it first, right here at LA Reef Club.

18. UPDATE ON 15 GALLON

i decided to "T" up from the valve and make 2 return outlets, and i just ordered a SCWD for it so it will have intermittent flow ;) . just tested the rock bin here are the results as followed:

NO3- 0
    NO2- 0
    NH3/NH4- 0
    PO4- 0

gonna do another 100% water change tomorrow and swish the rocks around one last time, and thats that. :D

19. Still waiting on some stuff to come in for the tank, and i still need to build the sump. I decided to start the tank till everything comes in.

Heres a sweet shot of the agitation from the top of the tank.

[​IMG]

Heres a shot from the left side.

[​IMG]

Heres a shot from the front side.

[​IMG]

Then a shot from the right side.

[​IMG]

This is the first 24 hours of operation, i think its lookin pretty good! :D

20. BTW, always cook and cure your rock right from the very beginning, youll thank yourself later! ;)