new tank, new aquascape - what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by Anonymous, Jul 16, 2006.

1. hey all.

today was rock day here in houston. got a steal on LR for $2/lb. got about 65 lbs of it and put it with probably about 30ish lbs of base rock i had left over. and the cycle begins!

i decided to go with a 2 pyramid kind of style. i'm looking for critiques and suggestions.

thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

Looking good, Keith!

Like Colin, I really like the look you're going for- definitely makes the tank look bigger with more depth.
    I see you got the halides- what did you end up with? they look like Reef Optix pendants with Phoenix bulbs.

One suggestion- if you are planning on using the Maxijets for primary flow, you may wanna look at the various "mods" that you can do to achieve a wider flow pattern. i did the "stream" mod and the difference is noticeable.

3. its a 75g. the rocks on the right are all pretty smaller sizes, so creating some space may be difficult. i'll look into it this afternoon.

good eye! hit it right on the nose. they are 14k 250w phoenix bulbs in RO III pendants.

yeah i'm not sure if i'm gonna stick with those PH's or get new ones. I definitely want something with a broader flow, but i'm worried about getting SEIOs or tunzes and having them kicking up my sandbed since i used sugar-sized grain oolite sand.

4. it looks good, but i think it looks too open in the middle. just my opinion.

5. I love the open, two "pyramid" look. It's very clean and creates two interest points in the tank. It also makes your 75 look much larger.
    What fish do you plan on keeping in there?

6. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

apex - looking good. plenty of space for frags :D . Lots of room on the SB for brains 8)

7. haven't made any firm fish decisions. my old tank kept more timid fish (royal gramma, bicolor blenny, watchman goby, etc) and this time around i'm more interested in active swimmers.

that being said, i still plan on keeping my royal gramma (thanks jcraft!) so i tried to have some nooks and crannies for it, but my main goal for the aquascape was to provide as much room as i could for swimmers. i think the diagonal channel accomplished that since thats the longest line i could make in my relatively small 75.

any suggestions? so many fish out there, so little time! :D

thanks. since i plan to keep SPS/LPS i wanted a section for brains and the like (even clams) if i decided to get some.

8. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

Definately looks good, what kinda corals are you gonna go with again?

9. Afex, that rockscape looks great! And it looks like it will give you tons of room to place corals in varying degrees of light. Nice!

10. mostly SPS with LPS peices here and there

11. looks great!

12. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

Should be swesome. W#atch out for lps, sps generally reguires a good amount of current. I had to remove my lps once I increased my current because it would not expand it's tissue anymore, since in increased my current my sps are loving it. Their polyps are always out.