Noisy Overflow

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Anonymous, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I had my 75 gallon tank drilled at a local pet store and when he drilled I asked what to do and he said just put a 90 on it pointing up so I did this and it is extremely loud. This is the first tank that I am setting up with a sump but it is way to noisy, sounds like someone flushing a toilet and gurgling at the same time. They drilled the hole a few inches from the top on the back. I have spent the last couple hrs looking online and I am not finding any pic's that can help me out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Tank102a

Tank102a Postasaurus Rex

You should consider a Durso Standpipe. I know you dilled your tank on the back not the bottom, but a slight modification of the Durso Standpipe might work for you. I have never tried to modify it but it's worth a try.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I went to Lowes and got the stuff to try it but it either sucks really loudly or will eventually overfill (depends on which cap I have have on it bigger hole or smaller hole). If I play with ball valve and shut it down some I can elimnate most of the noise but I am really worried about it overflowing. Like I said this is my first one with a sump so I am nervous about water running outside of the tank. Let me know if cutting down the flow to the sump will cause me problems other than the balance of not overflowing the tank. Thanks Chris.

5. citation83bravo

citation83bravo Cleaner Shrimp

I had a small stand pipe that wasnt allowing enough water to flow down to the sump...so my return would suck my sump dry before it would get back..or it would fill my tank up and almost overflow it...I cut the pipe off and coupled to a bigger pipe..now the water pushes down throuhg there at a great rate....stand pipes and that type of drain are noisy i dont think you can really get away from it unless you go to an overflow box

6. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

I know alot of people on this site use both ball valves and check valves flawlessly, and for those of you who have good luck with them then ignore this comment. I hate both check and ball valves! lol I had a fish go over my overflow and get caught in the ball valve on my return (don't ask how cause I still dont know) and it ended up nearly overflowing. I caught it just in time. Check valves will do the same thing. Espically in saltwater when alot of calcium is boud to build up inside the valves, or algae, detrutis, ect. There are ways around valves, just takes a little coon-*** engineering to get around them. ;)

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for all the replies. I went to Mark's today and they told me to put a 1 1/4" 90 on the inside and try that, and that cut out a lot of the noise. The bulk head that is in there is 1" id. I may go and try getting a 1 1/2" to 1" tomorrow and see if that will cut even more noise but I was told to let it run for a bit so I may just wait. Thanks again Chris.