Nothing like a hole in the wall to throw your money into.

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by renfest1, Jul 9, 2006.

1. renfest1

renfest1 Kole Tang

So since losing my 125 in the days following Katrina I have been awaiting the day I start my new tank. I am back in business, almost. I recieved my new tank last week and have almost finished the stand. Hoping to have water in the tank in 10 days. Keep your fingers crossed for me. So here is the first pic of my progress. I hope I didn't make the hole too big.
    [​IMG]
    Was I supposed to measure twice and cut once, or was it the other way around?

2. looks good. you may need an extra piece of trim to make sure there is no gaps around the tank.

3. I know a guy who knows a guy who can fix that for you.

4. Nice hole.

5. Yeah, Collin shot me in the face today!!! Now thats customer service!!

6. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

I think you might have cut the hole half and inch too big, i dunno maybe it's just me. Can't wait to see it in action. Whatcha gonna put in there, softes &lps or sps?

7. renfest1

renfest1 Kole Tang

Right now, I'm thinking mermaids. I found an online mermaid dating service recently. They are really good at matching you with compatible mermaids and I have to say, the quality of the talent is unbeatable.

8. Mermaids will only grow as big as their tank, right?

9. Coyle

Coyle Ko-Ko Worm

what are the dimensions of your new tank??

10. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

Time to tick it in there and give us some updates!

11. renfest1

renfest1 Kole Tang

So here is my Saturday update. Spent the morning running a GFI outlet to the closet. My home was built in the early 50's, so none of the original wiring is grounded. This required my crawling through the attic twice to drop wires from the original outlet that I am piggy backing from to the new gang box and to drop the ground wire to the new gang box. I had to install a ground wire that runs through the exterior wall and connects to the water supply pipe by the front door. All is well. Just for safe measures, I installed a double gang box with both a regular outlet and the GFI. I can always reverse the wiring and make both of them protected if I need to. I'm thinking one more trip to Home Depot and I'll be ready to put the tank in the wall and start plumbing it up.

12. renfest1

renfest1 Kole Tang

Some of you have been asking about my progress. I have a lot going on today and may have some front of the tank shots tomorrow. But for now here is my update. This photo was taken just minutes ago as part of my in home property inventory.

Funny how a Reef Keeper and a Meth Cooker have a few things in common.
    [​IMG]

13. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

how many times have I heard that one before!
    HA! there's ALWAYS gonna be one more time . . . :lol:

14. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

I think that Meth is cheaper and easier than the reef addition. :D :D
    Can't wait to see your tank shots.

15. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

So, which are YOU? :lol:

16. renfest1

renfest1 Kole Tang

[​IMG]

So here it is, a little less than two months from delivery. My very own Oceanic Reef Ready 180 with closed loop. The sand base is 100 pounds, about an inch thick in most places. The live rock is about 125 pounds, and I think I need about 3 more BIG pieces to get things the way I like them. The closed loop is run by an Iwaki 40. I do not have a light kit yet.

[​IMG]

The stand was built into an office closet. I was able to add a 10 gallon tank as a top-off water reservoir. It runs to a float valve on an Oceanic Model 3 sump. The return water is pumped by an Iwaki 40 through a squid. I still have some minor things to do, like replace the old power strips with new ones, add a small work light, etc. I did add foam board insulation between the studs to dampen sound through the wall to the living room and I am very pleased with the sound level.

17. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

so thats where all that rock at Rick's was going! I saw some nice pieces in there that I wanted lol

What are you thinking about as far as lighting?

18. Sweet setup! Sooo are you going mixed reef, FO or what? Thanks for the pics, keep 'em coming.
    Sean

19. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

mixed i bet.cant wait.