Nothing like a white Brain!

Discussion in 'Large Polyp Stonies' started by Anonymous, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For some reason all my LPS' seem to be bleaching. Not dying, they eat. I guess all of thin is an over statement, the Trumpet and Candy corals seem to be fine. But a huge green Brain and a rose brain have lost most of the color and now my red Lobo seems to heading that way.

I've done all the test, I feed 1 or 2 times a week with DT's and Cyclopeez. Calcium is great all SPS' have great growth. I am a little behind on water changes but I evaporate 20 gallons a week on the 150 during this freaking heat.

Any clues?

2. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

not sure about the bleaching, but i feed all of my lps mysis shrimp at least once a week. maybe they'd benefit from some other types of food.

3. whulljr

whulljr Bangaii Cardinal

Where is your Rose brain placed at? and what temp is your 150. How high is your tank? Wes

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I could try new foods.

The tank is a 150 show, so 72"Lx18"Dx30"T.

The Rose is in the substrate but under a 14k MH and next to the trumpet coral.

The Big Favaties style (8" ball) brain and the Red Lobo are mid way up in the tank.

Temp peaks out at 84 on a bad day, the norm. is 80-82.

5. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

A freind of mine had bad bleaching of his lps because of a toxin that his finger leather was leaching. He researched on several sites to see what was goin on and a few weeks after he got rid of the finger leather his corals began to get their color back

6. whulljr

whulljr Bangaii Cardinal

If I read correctly that your brain is in the substrate (on the bottom) And you only have a 150w with a 30" tall tank you do not have enough light for your brain. These corals are found three - two feet deep water. Move your brain closer to the light and you will find he will get some color back. Hope this helps. Here are some of my brains.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No, for lighting I have 2 250watt MH, and 2 160 watt VHO's. I get great extention, just loosing color. One of the brains are almost directly under the halide. All my acros, millies, soli and such are fine.

8. whulljr

whulljr Bangaii Cardinal

Oh sorry, I must have read to quickly and seen the 150 and thought you were talking about the lights. Sorry. how old are the lights? What kind of lights? What is your Ph/KH at? And what kind of water movement do you have for them? Thanks and sorry about earlier... Wes

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

PH is a steady 8.2 in day and 8.1 at night my CA reactor does that great.
    KH is 9.2 a week ago

Water movement- Mag 1800 return pump, and a Seio 2600, 1500 and 1100 in the tank.

MH are 4 months old and I said 14k but they are 15k 250watt XM bulbs

Thanks, James

10. whulljr

whulljr Bangaii Cardinal

Don't know, seems like you would have a good flow, The only think I can think of is maybe move the Rose brain to about mid way up in your tank since the rule of thumb I have always gone with is any tank deeper than a 24" should go with a 400w. But I know people with the same setup and do just fine with 250. Try it and see, it can't hurt to try. Sorry I couldn't help you out more. Wes :(