One Two Zero

Discussion in 'The Showroom' started by Jcraft, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

I was very productive during my vacation last week- finished building the stand and sump and over the past couple days started moving everything into the new tank. What you see is the contents of both my 72bow and 58g.

Here's the specs on the main display:
    120g Oceanview tank- no centerbrace & a 2" hole drilled in the bottom center
    45g DIY Acrylic sump http://www.lareefclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2548
    36" DIY maple stand http://www.lareefclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2431
    ASM G-3 Protein skimmer
    Mag9.5 return
    Gen-X Mak4 CL
    2 Tunze 6100's on a multicontroller
    Reef Optix pendants (250w) on display running 14k Phoenix bulbs

frag tank:
    Mag 5 CL
    Aqua Medic pendant (250w) soon to be running 10k Ushio

You can see how I have it plumbed- excuse the mess, I'm working on it ;)
    The return T's off to the 30g cube, which is adjustable via ball valve, and then overflows into the refugium section of the sump, thus giving the fuge its current.

Mechanical filtration is provided by a filter sock and I will be running carbon on the media tray between the first baffles of the sump
    Biological is of course the live rock (round 140lbs) and the refugium, which has chaeto and caulerpa in it)

now on to the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my newest additions:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thats it for pics- not many came out too well . . .

Problems thus far:
    1. I made the standpipe a tad bit high . . . fills the tank almost up to the brim! Will probably drain the top and cut it down to size tomorrow
    2. while moving, one of the MH pendants fell into about 3" of water- I tried to dry it out and then plugged it into a GFCI only to have it tripped . . . dunno if it'll work anymore. . .
    3. My parents, whose house this is set up at, and, might I add, don't know squat about reefkeeping! hate the lights. Nothing but complaints at how bright they are, and that it makes the room look like a disco! My mom made the suggestion of getting lights and recess them into the cieling (a good 5' over the tank! :lol: ) Will probably give in and make a canopy . . . i love the open top look though :(

All fish and corals made the move alright :D

2. SLUSamson

SLUSamson CrossHatch Trigger

Mount those lights into a canopy and hang the canopy over the tank... It'll still give you the air flow of an open top but kill the light spill over into the room... I had a pendant just like yours over my 30g and to kill the spill over i made a box out of oak, cup a hole in the top of it big enough for all the pendant to pop through except for the lip where the glass is... then I just mounted the pendant and let the box hang on it. Worked very well and could be easily taken apart to move/service the lights or get in the tank. Let me know if you're more interested and I'll get some pics up... I've been meaning to get some pics of the fixture anyway... it's for sale...

3. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

very good idea, something similiar to what colin and adrian have over their tanks at SF

If it makes em happy, I guess I'll have to appease them :D

then again, my mom just told me today she just may make that room (its a den) my room . . . works for me! :)

update on the lighting fixture- still didn't fire when I tried it today- I disassembled the fixture and washed the ceramic socket with freshwater to clean off any salt residue . . . will try again tomorrow :(

4. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

looks great. good luck with the parents and light.

5. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

the canopy has been completed and put in place- the only problem is that the front sags :( for now it's working, but i need to figure out how to better balance the weight.

The light situation has been changed- the pendant that had fallen into the water now works, after a lil freshwater cleansing. I have also added a 250w SE fixture running a 6500k Iwasaki. I like the color now, but I may in a few weeks (after the Iwasaki's have burned in) change the 14k Phoenix's with 20k XM's. Still undecided.
    The frag tank now sports a 10k XM . . . I hope to get better growth from these changes/additions

And unfortunately, my Powder Blue didn't make it past day 8 . . . :(
    my newest addition to the family, however, is a Scribbled Rabbitfish- awesome looking fish 8)

heres some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

no pics of corals yet- the majority seems to have turned brown after the move . . . hopefully once things stabilize the colors will return

7. cool ... wish I could figure out a way to set up a frag grow out tank.

8. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

finally got the hood kinks worked out. I changed the PHoenix bulbs to 20k XM's because the 6500k Iwasaki was making the tank appear white. I also added two 36" VHO actinic's- I like the look I have achieved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hair algae problem resolved ;)
    [​IMG]

lighting setup:
    [​IMG]

"When corals fight back"
    [​IMG]
    the yongei I have didn't take too kindly to me cleaning the glass right in front of it :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. beautiful. sorry to hear about your PBT. :cry:

10. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Johnathan,

I hope you cleaned that bugger out really well...look over on Reef Central and search for a thread posted by a guy named SeanT... he got a scrape in his tank and almost lost his finger, possibly his life, due to blood poisoning...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... ht=marinum

11. :shock: whoa. gloves much man

12. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

lots of new stuff!

Here's the lowdown.

I had quite a few corals STN on me, and I ended up narrowing it down to three suspects: High alkalinity (ended up getting to at least 18dKh); Temperature (got as high as 87F :shock: ) ; salinity(was goin through 5 gallons topoff a day, with a salinity swing of 1.025-1.029 daily)

To fix these problems, I first cut off my calcium reactor to get my alkalinity back into check. I also went and bought a chiller for the tank- a Pacific Coast Imports CL-650 1/4hp unit. This in turn fixed the last problem- I now only topoff about 1 gallon a day!

I had also ordered Tunze transformers to upgrade my 6000's to 6100's- after about a month and a half wait, they finally came in last week.

I also started continuously tripping breakers. . . I chalk this up to the fact that there is only one circuit in my room and when I tallied everything up, I'm pulling about 15 amps on the tank alone! :shock: This, coupled with the fact that I had to install a window A/C unit to keep the room from becoming a sauna all conspired against me. To remedy this situation, I ran two new electrical lines into the room to act as dedicated aquarium lines. Both are 20amps and both have GFCI outlets.

So I fixed the breaker tripping problem . . . now to help the 15amps that I'm using. I scrapped all my pumps first and foremost. I added em up and it was ridiculous. Mag9.5 return, Mag5 CL, Gen-X Mak4 CL, pump for the chiller, 3 MJ 1200's . . . did i really need them ALL?!
    so what did I do? I bought another pump :D
    I ended up with a Reeflo Sequence Snapper- the newest model w/ 2500gph and best of all, runs @ 98watts! This pump does it all- return, feed for the CR, feed for the chiller . . . works great and is QUIET! I can barely hear it :) The only bad thing was the fact that I had to replumb the whole tank(1"PVC switched to 1.5" to accomodate the new pump) and anyone who has had to do that before after its been setup can attest to what a PITA it is

I also bought a new Calcium reactor. The MRC was giving me so much trouble and I was tired of it. Having gone down to Rick's Reef to pick up my Tunze transformers, he was unpacking some drygoods when I arrived. One thing he showed me impressed me- a Schuran Pico calcium reactor. It was tiny compared to my MRC and the craftmanship was impressive- these Germans know what they're doin! I went home, did my research and was back a few days later to get it. I've had it set up since Wednesday and so far the results have been great- much better than the other one.

Lastly, as of today, my prop tank is no more. I was ultimately unable to get the flow that I would have liked in the 30 cube. Due to this, some of the SPS were not thriving as I had hoped and I really didn't feel like putting any more powerheads into the tank. So I went and got 35lbs of LR and put it into the tank- I now have to decide what I want: a FO tank or a LPS and softy tank :confused: any suggestions?

ok, so here's the pics:

FTS:
    [​IMG]

CHILLER:
    [​IMG]

NEW PUMP:
    [​IMG]

NEW CR:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (notice the size- tiny! and a very efficient design as well!)

new clam I got today(pics don't do it justice!):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the "new" 30g:
    [​IMG]

and my own LE coral- I'm giving it the moniker "Phoenix frag" and I hope to be able to trade/sell them some day! (in the second pic it's in the middle)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

why the name? When I started losing corals to STN, my Valida was one of the first to succumb. I fragged it, only to have the frags die . . . so I decided to let nature run it's course . . . the whole coral perished, or so I thought- remarkably, a very small piece (less than 1/2") at the base survived - a Phoenix rising from the ashes! :D
    heres the original frag:
    [​IMG]

thats it!

13. lookin'good. Glad to see the reactor is working out for you. I was at Rick's when you were picking it up (still looking at the geo in the corner of my office ,lol)

14. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

October update:

Disclaimer: I am addicted to this hobby.

How addicted? I just dropped close to 3 grand on the tank this month :shock: I think I'm still in denial . . .

So I went to MACNA, and saw lots of cool stuff. First and foremost I saw the Sfiligoi Infinity XR4 lights. . . it's funny- about a year ago I came across this thread on ReefCentral: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... genumber=2

If you look at the posts, there was one made by me- something about giving my left nut for one of those :lol: . . . well, I got the light and I'm happy to say that I didn't have to give anything other than a credit card # :D

I also picked up an Aquatronica controller, I just have not hooked it up yet.

The 30g tank has been sold and replaced with a 70g Oceanic. I had a stand in storage that I decided to utilize- so far I am pleased with the change. I have been able to open the valve on my return pump all the way (whereas before, it would overflow the 30g)!

I just finished building the canopy for the 70g- pretty much all done except the front "door" warped and so I'll have to do another.

Here's the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the Wave2K I won at MACNA- the main circulation in the 70g:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Christmas came early :D Boy these lights are heavy!!! The fixture weighs about 75lbs!
    [​IMG]

frags I got from the SomethingFishy goodbye party(I brought home 3 SPS frags hoping to save them (bad STN) nut alas, they did not make it :cry: I tried . . .
    cloves:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also got some cool Zoa's- the Blues, a couple greens and some others!

a couple nice shots of my rabbit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got a couple more suprises coming up within the next week, sostay tuned :D

15. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Johnathan,

You must be one of the luckiest dudes around. You won the tickets to MACNA, you won a chiller at MACNA, and you won a Wave2K at MACNA. Have you just won the lottery too, based on what you spent last month on the tank? :lol:

16. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

HAHA, I WISH!!!
    I did win $400 on a football card a couple weeks ago though!

it wasn't too too bad . . . have you seen all the Used Equipment threads I posted in the last month?!

Having sold my old lights and various things around the house I wasn't using, I had enough to cover the lights and controller :)

17. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

how do you like the wave 2k? Is it really noticable or loud? I'm looking at something to increase my flow for my sps and they caught my eye. How much flow do you get out of it?

18. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

I ended up getting a corner unit that is 13in., thinking this would be in a 40g breeder . . . if I would have known I would be using it in a 70g, I would have gotten the bigger size(which is the same price) Noise is'nt bad- you get a lil noise when the water comes out the top, but it isn't bad. The motor is external so no heat is exchanged.
    I would say theres about 1500-2000gph from the wavemaker- I have some softies in the tank now and they seem to like the swaying back and forth.

As of yet though, I don't know if I would BUY one. . . I won it, so I'm trying it out, but when I saw the display at MACNA, i wasn't too impressed. But it's not bad . . . maybe if there were 2 corner units- one on each side of the tank