overflow box cover/lid

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Reef_Tank_Greg, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

Anyone know a place that has some type of covers for overflow boxes, specifically for Oceanic tanks, that can be used to cover overflows and thus prevent algae growth inside it?

2. Just cut a piece of plastic and paint it black. Cost less than 5 bucks from home depot and they cut it for me. Glue it to the top of the overflow with superglue.

3. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

still looking for a pre-made piece if anyone knows of somewhere that makes/sells them

thx seanjen

4. Can't believe you don't like my ghetto solution :D

5. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

well, my last ghetto solution started melting when I upgraded my lighting... so... wanting to buy something more appropriate this time lol

6. Dam, I have 800 watts over my plastic, with no problems. Hope you find what you need :D

7. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

i did the same- my overflow was, well, overflowing with algae so I went to Home Depot and bought a 8x10 piece of acrylic (i think thats the right size) I cut it to shape with my dremel and painted one side black- the finished product overlaps the overflow slightly, but I like it cuz it cut down on the algae growing in the overflow teeth as well

I did not superglue it tho, so if i need to get into the overflow or clean the lid, theres no problems.

to answer your question tho, I have never seen a prefabricated cover