PH AND RO/DI

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by sweetpea355, Jul 18, 2006.

1. sweetpea355 Emerald Crab

Hey all, Just wondering Is ro/di water ph is the same all the the time or when you add salt does raise to 8.2 ? Where I live the water ain't so great, so do I need to keep adding buffer? I test my water right before I do a waterchange and my ph always seems to be low so I add buffer but the next week it's the same. Can some one help me out.

2. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

RO/DI water has a very low pH. Mine tests at somewhere like 5.6. When mixed with my salt, it is at about 8.1-8.2 after 24 hours of mixing (tropic marin salt). The mix should have enough buffer in it. What's your kH? This is the buffering capacity of your tank...alkalinity. If it's really low, your pH will be subject to swings to the low side.

3. sweetpea355 Emerald Crab

I don't have the alk test kit so I don't know what it is but my ph stays around 7.8-8.0

4. thats low it should be at around 8.1 or 8.2

5. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

I add a little bit pf baking soda (2 or 3 table spoons f0r 5 gallons) in my ro water. Raises PH and alkalinty so I dont have ph flux and my calcium is balanced w/ my alk. Been working great for over a year now.

6. sweetpea355 Emerald Crab

What is pf baking soda and also what is limewater and where can I get some?

7. sweetpea355 Emerald Crab

What is pf baking soda and also what is limewater and where can I get some?

8. jtv7471

jtv7471 Ko-Ko Worm

im not exactaly sure, but limewater has a high ph so be careful with that. I have literally no ph swings with my baking soda adds and my refugium runni gat night. Just be carfeul with it

9. Questions

Let me answer a couple of your questions LIME WATER is when you talk Lime either food grade or Fish store also known as KALK and mix it with water. You let the solution settle then use the the clear liquid to top off your tank. This top off does a couple things Kalk is very high ph so most people drip into their tanks at night when your PH is low due the lights being off. this gives your TAnk a more stabile envirment. It also raises your Calcium. also the addition the kalk solution will make any phosphate percipitate out. Disadvantages are that you could raise your tanks PH to high if you added to much at once. Do a search on KALK and it should explain everything you need to know. A lot of reefers use KALK to stabilize their water. Hope this helps