pH controller question

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Kirk_M, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

For all of you using a pH controller (NOT monitor) in conjunction with a calcium reactor, are you using it to monitor & control your TANK pH or are you using it to monitor & control the EFFLUENT pH (my reactor has a probe port on the top, as do several other models) by shutting off the solenoid for your CO2 regulator? Which is more important? I would think TANK, but, I am not sure...I would guess that you would also want to keep your reactor pH from getting too low so as to not totally melt your media.

2. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

Don't know if this is the best way or not but I am using my probe in the CA reactor. I am curious to see what others are doing as well.

3. Kirk_M

Why is it important to controll the pH inside the reactor? Worst case scenario with too low a pH in the reactor is you melt all your media quickly, and too high a pH will result in no dissolution of the media. Now, if your tank pH drops due to too low an effluent pH, and it's not being controlled by the controller, you could have a tank crash, worst case scenario. If you use the controller to control tank pH instead, you can shut off the CO2 before it becomes a problem (say, at night, when most tanks encounter a lower pH). How do you balance tank pH with effluent pH, so that the effluent doesn't affect the overall tank pH?

Thanks,

Kirk

4. Kirk_M

Ok, I just got a Reef Fanatic pH controller and solenoid. I have it hooked up to my calcium reactor, and I have the value I want to keep the reactor at 6.5 since I use Schuran media and they recommend running it between 6.5 and 6.2. Jay, I know you have this controller too...it seems like the manual was written by someone for whom English is a second language. It's clearly made in China, and turns out to be one of the more expensive controllers out there (after pinpoint) -- I would have expected to be paying top dollar for something German or American made, but, not some Chinese, sweatshop, slave made piece of electronics. I hope I have this thing figured out correctly. I was not sure what the OFFSET button meant either, as the instructions aren't that good at explaining it with their poor use of syntax. Can you point me in the right direction, Twisted?

5. Palancar

Palancar Ex-Acan Collector LARC Supporter

I use the Reefantic Regulator with solenoid and Milwaukee PH Controller. The controller probe is mounted in the calcium reactor. The set point of the controller is set at 6.7; the PH of the reactor fluctuates from 6.6 to 6.8. The only problem I have had is the solenoid went out and was stuck in the open position, after checking it out the plunger had a spot where it would hang up on and the coil circuit was open. I replaced it with a solenoid from Asco Valves basically same size, SS body, Viton seals, same pipe connections and a lot better quality for about ten dollars more.