PH differences in External fuge area

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by oimate842005, Jun 16, 2006.

1. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

I have an empty refugium tank thats connected to my main tank that does NOT have anything in there right now (no macro, no sand, etc) ..its connected to the tank by 1 overflow box (600gph) and does not get much circulation other then the drain line....from this "empty fuge" area the water goes down from a 1" drain into my sump then returns to my tank....my question is, when checking the PH of the main tank at night, it was 8.3...but when I checked the PH of my "empty fuge" it registered 7.9, this level was taken about 4-5 inches below surface, at the surface, the ph is 8.3 probably because thats where the current passes through....

if your still following my ramble, my question is, why is this ph in the fuge so low, and because of it, is it bringing down my overall tank ph? is there anyway to bump up this fuge ph, maybe by adding a powerhead or something?

[​IMG]
    behind the tank you can see the "empty fuge" area by the skimmer in the picture[/img]

2. shivametimbas

shivametimbas Spiny Star Astraea

your rock sure looks great. nice tank. wish i could help with your thread.

3. Jcraft Harlequin Tusk

where does your calcium reactor drip?
    could it have something to do with the low flow and the fact that if you're dripping the reactor to where the water is passing the fuge before going to the display, the excess CO2 in the water is causing a lower pH . . . once the water hits the higher flow areas, where there is more gas exchange taking place the CO2 levels drop and the pH goes up

Thats my hypothesis :D

4. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

thanks for the input guys...the reactor is dripping to the sump and the sump remains at 8.3ph, it is hitting a stream in the sump....chris, your right with the isolated stream going into the fuge area. ill try putting a small powerhead in the fuge..im not using the fuge for anything right now (there used to be a bullet 2 skimmer, but now I switched to a Euro-reef that fits in the bottom sump)..so if all else fails ill pull that fuge out

5. PH

Add some coral sand & some fresh cured LR that will help your PH.