Poll: What brand test kit do you use?

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by Anonymous, Jun 28, 2005.

?

What brand test kits do you use?

1. Salifert

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tunze

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Tetratest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. LaMotte

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. SeaChem

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Red Sea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Hagen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. FasTest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. SeaTest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other/Combo

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. I'm running low on several of my test kits and I'm thinking about going with different brands since I'm not real satisfied with what I've got. I've been using SeaChem's kits and some work good where others don't seem to be working well.

PH - Very subjective (each test could be 7.9 to 8.2 ... I can't tell)
    Calcuim - Consistent, but always off by 40 ppm on sample
    Ammonia - Pathetic
    Alkalinity - One of the better tests from SeaChem
    Nitrite/trate - Good at detecting high levels (when I cured rock), but I have doubts about it's ability to detect really small amounts

Let me know what you're using in the poll and please include comments on what tests work particularly well or poorly. Also, would appreciate any comments on good test kits for Mag and Strontium.

I'm sure I'll miss a couple brands in the poll ... so mods ... please add other brands as needed.

Thanks
    Scot

2. Crap! I forgot to put a "Other/Combo" selection in the poll. Could someone please add that? I tried to edit, but I think once it's submitted, that's it. :confused:

3. I voted other. I use the Aquarium Pharmasuticals Test Kit.

4. typo

typo CrossHatch Trigger

i use salifert. lamotts are probably the best but they are a little involved.

5. JohnSPledg Fire Shrimp

I use a combination. For NH3, NO2, NO3, pH, KH I use both tetra test and aquarium pharm. For Ca I use Hagen(nutrafin) or Aquarium pharm. For Magnesium I use seachem.

6. I have both, for the hobby Saliflert is the most accurate for the price. I have several LaMotte kits very accurate lab grade but it isn't necessary, not for the price & the pain of actual testing. I've also used Tropic Marian but these are difficult to read, although accurate. I went through fast test, red sea & several other cheapies, when you get a better kit you will know why you won't trust them anymore.

7. Whoa ... talk about an overwhelming favorite. Thanks to all for the poll entries and the posts. Guess I'll jump on board with everyone else and give Salifert a try.

TwistedTiger: That sounds 'on' topic enough for me! Anybody got an answer?

8. I've priced it at several web sites, after shiping your about the same. I like Marine Depot, great service!

9. Reef_Tank_Greg

Reef_Tank_Greg Skimmate

I get mine from islandaquatics.com.. They sell the "total Reef" package anywhere from 80 to 100 dollars, not sure what price depends on. I see it's 98 dollars right now. Nice deal imo as it contains just about every test kit you could need.

10. Just a thought but something to think about, if you guys live close together, instead of getting every kit needed, just take turns with someone or a few people, just buy the opposite kits of the other person, this way you can test everything at a cheaper cost, these kits can get pricy & sometimes you only need to test every so often, so why not arrange to share & this way you can keep fresh kits & a good excuse to check out another reef.

11. Saldarya

Saldarya Table Acropora

I am going to chime in here and agree with everyone else. Salifert is the way to go for the reef hobbyist who is interested in tests beyond the normal bacteria cycle. I used LaMotte for several years, very accurate,but being color blind, they were a pain in the A**.

Bobby