Protein Skimmer for a 20 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Anonymous, Jul 2, 2006.

1. I'm setting up a 20 gallon tank and was wondering which Protein Skimmer I should use. I'm thinking about getting a Red Sea Prizm or a AquaC Remora, but was wondering if there was a smaller (& cheaper) one that I could use.

My other filters are an outside power filter with bio-wheel and I was thinking of adding a Fluval 4+ just for some extra filtration.

I appreciate any advice

Thanks

2. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

I'd go, for my first choice, an AquaC Remora or a Coralife Super Skimmer as my second choice.

3. In this hobby, you tend to get what you pay for. A cheap skimmer is more than likely to render "cheap" results.

I've never heard any complaints about the Aqua C Remora or the Corallife superskimmer. The Corallife superskimmer is fairly new on the market, but seems to be making a big name for itself.

4. For that size tank, would the Seaclone 100 be ok to use?

5. SLUSamson

SLUSamson CrossHatch Trigger

Stay away from seaclones... that don't work good at all... I had a CPR-Bak-Pak on my 30g and it worked pretty good as lond as you cleaned the pump once a month... I still have it if you're interested... It needs a new pump which will cost ya about 10-20 bux.... I'll let it go for $80... let me know if you're interested

6. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

SEACLONE = SEACLOWN :lol:

7. renfest1

renfest1 Kole Tang

I used a Prizm on a 20 gallon with success. I only had two fish in the tank and some mushrooms and leathers and other frags. You are going with a 20 for 1 of 2 reasons, space issues, or initial set up cost. If it's the set up cost, go cheap, get your feet wet, learn a thing or tweo about the hobby, and then upgrade. That's the route I took, it's the route many of us took. Back to the initial question, I have heard that prizm skimmers will work on everything up to 40 gallons. And when you do upgrade, that 20 will make a perfect sump.

8. Yep that's the plan: start off small, maintain a tank, learn something, make sure I can keep stuff alive, then upgrade to something larger and probably use the 20 gallon as a sump.

Hey, thanks to all for the tips, keep'um comin :lol:

9. i'd think a CPR bakpak with a MJ1200 with turbo venturii would work pretty well on a 20. I think the remora would be a good option too. I've also heard good stuff about a skimmer called Excalibur or something like that. Good luck with the setup!
    Curt

10. partsman70435

partsman70435 Astrea Snail

thats a good discription !!!!!!!!!

11. partsman70435

partsman70435 Astrea Snail

20 gallon skimmer

i recently did the same thing with a 20 gallon tank . trying to find a skimmer that would fit on the back of a 20 .
    the coralife ss 65 will but the pump is so large it take away from the tank area . a seaclone - well ....garbage ...IMO .....
    Prizm ...hhmmmm ...lots of drawbacks .
    i found the coralife works better but the aquac remora fits better , takes up less room - and dumps very little micro bubbles than others i've tried.
    for a larger tank i'd go with the coralife ss - but on my 20 i'm happy with the aquac .
    and - by the way , just as said before ............never shortcut the skimmer because of price - probably the most important piece of equipment other than lighting you'll ever buy.
    Michael