Pumping Xenia Question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Anonymous, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Does nitrates have anyting to do with the Xenia not pumping ? When i first got it they were pumping like crazy, now that i have fish and im feeding every other day my nitrates are detectable on my test kit, but barely. I do 20% water changes every other week, and everything stays in check. Would this have anything to do with them not pumping. Everything else is very fat and happy, coral and fish. Reading like a 2.5. 0 being lowest and non-existent, and 50 being the highest. Any feedback would be appreciated. ;)

2. francisnguyen

francisnguyen Spiny Star Astraea

my experiences with pulsating xenia:
    i found that xenias pump more when there's less current flowing over them. i think the pulsating action of a xenia is it's way of 'filtering' the water for food. maybe your xenia is content and doesnt require much pulsating... i guess it could be a number of things. after i moved the xenia to a different location in the tank, it eventually started to pulsate again.

3. Well you may be right about the flow being a factor. When i first got it, the tank i got it out of had barely any movement, and it was pumping like crazy. After putting it in my tank, the first couple of weeks it was pumping about the same as when i bought it from my LFS. I do have flow in my tank, but not an obscene amount. I stopped running my Seio 620 because all my mushrooms werent really liking that much flow even turned down on low. I started running my Rio 180 in there and everything exploded. Mushrooms are bigger than silver dollars, brains are exploding and fatter than i have ever seen. Everything is just lovin' life. Thanx for your feedback, anyone else that can share some knowledge on this issue, i would appreciate it.

4. bmb527 Marine Betta

Most types of Xenia tend to like some nitrates. Many people use Xenia in their fuge for nutrient export. Xenia does not like much flow, low to medium is best. HTH
    Bill

5. Well thats just the thing, i turned off the Seio and i am not running it right now. I came to the conclusion that it is not needed in the tank. I am currently only running a Rio 180 and its doing a very good job and i would consider the flow to be a gentle sufficient flow for the tank.

Anyone else have any other feedback on this topic ?

6. JohnSPledg Fire Shrimp

Double check your pH. Xenia elongata tends to be very pH sensitive. Anywhere below 8.3 and they will slow down until about 8.0 they tend to stop. You get down to 7.7 and it will shrivel up and start dropping arms.

7. Ph is right on, constant 8.3 and maintained at that level at all times. It looks and acts very healthy, just not pumping as much as it was and should be. Thanx for the comments guys! ;)