PVC vs. Flex

Discussion in 'Filtration, & Other Equipment' started by Anonymous, Jan 1, 2006.

?

Plumbing of choice?

1. PVC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Flex

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mixed (explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. What's your experience with either of these methods for plumbing? Currenly i use 7/8 O.D. flex for my return simply b/c i bought a used setup and thats what it came with.

Not sure if i should stay with flex, or redo it using PVC. getting to the point where i want to adjust some things (adding valves, etc) so i need to decide this kinda stuff now

2. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

I only use PVC for straight line work...like for a drain that goes straight down out of the tank and into a sump. Otherwise, I use slip fittings and braded tubing. In retrospect, next time I tear down the tank, I'll set it back up with black tubing to inhibit algea growth inside the tube...but you can't stop all of it anyway...

I did my plumbing entirely in PVC when I set up my tank initially, and a year later, I was still chasing down and killing vibration noise.....Also, if you have a problem anytime, tubing is MUCH easier to work with and requires less precise measuring & cutting, and hardly any specialized parts & fittings.....With the slip connectors, you can just pull the tube off the pump and slide it back on when you're done...

If you need a gate valve in the line, it can still be done with a few extra parts....

3. I prefer flex because its alot easier to work with.

4. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

I plumbed all mu pumps in spa flex, but i plumbed my overflow to the sump in pvc

5. spa flex is the only way to go. I onlt use rigid on drains.

-Mike

6. yeah thats what i'm wondering about.

how do you connect standard things like ball valves to flex tubing?

7. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

same way you do with pvc. Just use some primer and pvc cement and it works fine

8. JLouv

JLouv Harlequin Tusk

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing here..

1. Flex pipe is flexible PVC pipe...

2. When I say tubing, I mean exactly that. Imagine 3/4" ID airline tubing. That's what I use.

so if you want to put a ball valve in flex pipe or PVC, all you do is use pvc cement and slip it together.....

If you want a ball valve in tubing, then you need a couple of bushings that you can screw <with plumber's tape> a MPT <threaded> hose barb into...glue that bushing into each side of the ball valve and slip the tubing on each barb. You may want to use some hose clamps because the tubing will be under pressure when you close the valve...

in other words...bring whatever size tubing you're using to Lowe's or HD and "build it before you buy it" ;)

9. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

And to clarify what i was intending:

I was talking about using spa flex (when flexpipe was mentioned). Spa flex will connect to regular sch. 40 pvc fittings just as pvc will, and can be glued the same way. I actually find it easier to glue spa flex than pvc, as I always seem to get a much better seal with the spa-flex. HTH

10. ok, sorry for not being very specific.

when i said flex i guess i meant tubing.

is spa flex the type of stuff seen normally when working with swimming pools? (white pvc-like ends with accordian style body)

11. crawfish Aptasia

Where can you buy spa flex or flexible PVC locally?

12. phatstanley02

phatstanley02 Ko-Ko Worm

spaflex is the white tubing that is flexible yet still a little rigid. It is very easy to work with and sells for about 1.50-3.00 a ft. You can find it at lowes or home depot and probably any pool/spa shop.