Radions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting' started by BluewaterLa, Apr 12, 2018.

1. BluewaterLa

BluewaterLa LARC Boil Master Administrator LARC Supporter

Whats up guys N Gals.
    I was wondering a few things about Radion lights from those who use them.
    First would be natural growth patterns of SPS, are you seeing this ??
    Are you using just the radions OR supplementing with T5 ??

Finally is there anyone who has run these lights for more than one or two years and would have measured Par output when new VS after some long run time.
    Are the lights Loosing Par after a year or two of use and needing new LED pucks installed.
    I know that not many would measure this so it may be a long shot question.

Humblefish likes this.
  2. clsanchez77

clsanchez77 Reefkeeping Extremist Global Moderator

I use the AI Hydra's, which are of the same owners and same LED specs (mostly). I can't comment on the SPS growth patterns but I have found so far the PAR levels to be holding constant at the one year mark. I took PAR readings at installation and then at the one year mark using Mark's meter. I think you will be much happier with the puck style lights; mimic's metal halide lighting as opposed to the disco style lighting.

BluewaterLa, smileyjoe and Humblefish like this.
  3. V3NOMUS

V3NOMUS Marine Betta

Had a set of Radion Gen 2 non pros on my 90 gallon for 2 years, then transferred them to my 225 for 2 years and never had any problems with growth or malfunctions or anything . Not sure on the par readings, but I didn't have to up my settings or anything and everything did beautiful. I plan on going with 2 Radion Gen4 pros when I set the tank back up. I already have 1, just need to purchase another one.

4. Dagocfh

Dagocfh Bangaii Cardinal

I’ve had the Radion Gen 3 and ai Vegas and ai hydras. Can’t really speak to the par level or sps growth too much but I found that the ai gave my coral better color and were easier to set up and use. I currently run my radions but if I were to do another build and start from scratch I’d go with the ai hydra hd

BluewaterLa likes this.
  5. BluewaterLa

So radions give a disco effect like other Led's ??

After all the testing of different lights I've been afforded the opportunity to play with I've noticed that there is no such thing as longevity with any of the Name brands, type of configuration or any of the sort. If its LED it looses intensity within 6 to 9 months run time on the short end and withing two years on the long end.
    I will say that I have no personal experience with the Radions and is why I was specifically curious about these units and how they hold up under / over time.
    The largest killer of LED technology is over driving the lights, this causes them to drop dramatically in time and depending on other factors within the light itself will depend on how much % par they loose and how long it takes.
    I've had some versions of LED's completely loose any sort of reliability in terms of Par and even Visual appearance of spectrum as the different channels all have the same Plain white color. Yes I've tested some really cheesed out lights and some really expensive ones too, None the same they all drop in intensity.

What I see when trying to read up on reviews is more of a fan Bases testimony rather than actual plain experience.
    I guess I am a bit of a geek when it comes down to knowing what my lights are or are not doing though it would be nice to know if anyone has noticed NOT small but considerable loss of power from radions over say a 1 or 2 year period.
    I've had a four thousand dollar fixture to play with for a good while and after six months of running it 10 hours per day at 70 % the 35% drop in Par from when new told me that it was nothing more than marketing hype.
    I sent this unit back in without looking back but like many things am still bound by their terms not to speak about ''the light''
    Just a note on this one in particular, its not common in the USA and likely never will see the market here due to price and performance.

6. BluewaterLa

I can see the difference in the pucks per say from AI Vs what I would still call a puck just larger in the Radion
    What makes them so different ?
    I would tend to think the smaller puck with fewer LED in the AI would be more prone to hot spots within the tank as there are few beams of light VS other styles that are blended over a bit more surface area.

And finally neither of the brands mentioned above are able to be repaired or fixed in the event one would choose to do so or upgrade like what was originally promised Right ?
    Or is this just what the all truthful internet states ?o_O

7. Salt_for_Brains

Salt_for_Brains Ko-Ko Worm

Not to jack the thread or anything BUT
    I haven't got to play with any of the fancy LEDs but the cheap ones on eBay give off a disco look in the tank aswell.

Personally I like T5s with nighttime LEDs.
    Only have three cons with T5s.
    1) HEAT!
    2) Once they are on, they are on.
    3) bulb replacement every 6 months is a PITA

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

8. BluewaterLa

I love the natural growth of corals under T5 and halide lights and still miss the results but not the Heat as you mentioned.
    For bulb replacement on T5, go longer as in 12 to 15 months between bulb changes and you will not be hurting your corals.
    When T5 first came out they were recommended to be changed every 12 months.
    I seriously do not know where the heck this 6 month change bulbs stuff comes from.
    Your bulbs at 12 months will still be producing great par and such a minimum spectral shift that a meter would have a hard time telling the differnce.

There was even a in depth video done by BRS that backs this information up well.
    When running T5 I never changed bulbs until 12 months, sometimes would push it into or past 15 months.
    This is also based on an average run time of 9 to 10 hours per day. two hours more would not make much difference.

smileyjoe likes this.
  9. Salt_for_Brains

Salt_for_Brains Ko-Ko Worm

If I ever do another tank I will he going back to T5s and I'll figure out something dealing with the heat issue. (Also taking that note about changing them out at 12 months)

Like I said I didn't mean to jack the thread.

LEDs are nice and I like the fact that you can adjust the intensity of them but I just feel like the PAR isn't all there yet.
    Not saying they can't grow corals (because they can lol. I've seen it first hand) But why not stick to something that's tried and true? Like the KISS principal.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

clsanchez77 and BluewaterLa like this.
  10. BluewaterLa

No harm or foul made man. I do agree with you that there seems to be something missing from LED and they are getting closer but not quite there yet compared to regular diffused lighting. Time will tell and only one thing remains the same in the hobby over time, its saltwater LOL

Salt_for_Brains likes this.
  11. Redfish Postasaurus Rex

I am running Gen 3 Radions over my tank ,, before that AI Hydras, before that AI Sol Blues,,, I have always run LED lighting over my short stint in the hobby, some where in the 15 to 20 year range ,, I had T5 lighting when I first started,, I quit those for the same reason Salt for Brains did :) heat & bulb replacement ,, I quickly jumped on the LED band wagon when they came out ,,

I have never really checked my Par readings on a regular basics to see if there was a Par drop off with them over time,, it always just worked out for me,, I upgraded to new LED lights every 4 or 5 years,, I really can't tell you anything when it comes to * Natural " coral growth under my LED lights ,,, not really sure what that means ,, lol its natural for my corals to grow under LED lighting ,,,

I work a lot,, LED lighting is just easy for me ,, Plug n Play ,, its that simple ,, corals grow ,, I don't have to replace bulbs ,, I don't have a heat issue ,, nothing more to it ,,, anything else is just over thinking the issue to my way of thinking ,, I can best use those brain cell's on other things,, like fighting Nitrates :)

BluewaterLa and clsanchez77 like this.
  12. BluewaterLa

@Redfish and anyone else wondering about my comment on the Natural growth of corals.
    This would pertain to mainly sps colonies growing out under LED Vs diffused light source.
    If you get or look at a colony from the ocean you will notice it is symmetrical in growth, Natural.
    Under LED sources of light the sps will tend to grow in an unnatural pattern, with branches starting only on one side of the colony, maybe one on the other side and so on. This is just something that most folks that have grown sticks under MH lights or even tube bulbs like T5 will have noticed.
    It does not bother some while it drives others crazy as we long for the correct way they are supposed to look.

Having said this I have noticed that tanks using a ridiculous amount of LED modules, 1 radion per 12 inches per say are getting around this issue of sickly looking colonies LOL.
    I for one am not looking to supplement with T5 OR go totally insane and have 6 grand in lights on this small of a tank but do see results in using many units.

Redfish likes this.
  13. BluewaterLa

So as I do know it would be hard to get the results I am asking for since either most upgrade lights quickly to new generation or different brands too quick and added that most will not check par throughout the life of the light so it is basically a crap shoot with any of them at this point.
    Maybe the two lights that are dominantly discussed here being AI and Radion do degrade over time but in smaller % compared to other brands out there.
    Not sure if i'm willing to invest that kind of coin to obtain such lights and conduct my own long term experiment :confused:

What I can tell you is I've been looking into some brands that I've got no actual burn time with and the four ones I've been reading up on all have their fan base for sure with lots of ''they work'' testimonial.
    I know that Radion, AI, Kessil AP700 and the Orphek atlantic V4 have all been noted to get the job done with sps.
    Which one to invest in IS the brain kicker here while tossing around the idea to do something different with my tank.

14. Redfish Postasaurus Rex

I had AI Sol Blue lighting for years ,, up graded to Hydra's ,,, nothing beats Radions IMO when it comes to how they make the corals look or grow in a tank ,, to take it one step further ,, its not just the light that you would be investing in ,, you would also be investing in Eco Tech as a company ,, say what you will about what they charge for their products ,, they ain't cheap ,, but this ,, IMO ,, is a company that doesn't stand still ,, they are always trying to improve their products ,, always on the cutting edge ,,, there is a reason why when coral companies swap over to LED lighting ,,, that they go with Radions ,, until someone builds a better mouse trap ,,,

clsanchez77 and BluewaterLa like this.