Refugium Information

Discussion in 'The Reef Tank' started by robharold, May 3, 2006.

1. robharold Montipora Coral

I need suggestions for refugium contents. What are any of you running in your fuge? Right now I only have a little bit of macro algae. Should I add any critters, sand/mud bed or even some type of additional filtration? I finally bought a house and will be moving soon so I want to set up the best I can with what I have. Thanks, Rob

2. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Rob - here's a pic of mine. Real simple - little LR, MM and macro.
    This is when it was first set up but now full of pods and snails and macro has taken off.
    [​IMG]

3. robharold Montipora Coral

Thanks Pettee. What kind of Macro do you use?

Anyone else have any input? I would like to see other set up ideas.

4. Kirk_M

Kirk_M Chevron Tang LARC Supporter

Check my tank thread, Rob. The refugium is on the right side of my sump. Not much to it, just like Pete's. A little liverock, a couple inches of sand or mineral mud, small light, and I have caulerpa prolifera, grape caulerpa, some stuff I got from Chad (can't remember what it's called), and some chaetomorpha as macros. Slow flow provided by a minijet pump into the fuge.

5. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

No sure type I know I have some Cheato but the order is something I got from Rick's and he wasn't sure of the name. He did tell me to be sure that none of it gets into the lake.

6. Kirk_M

Can't stress that enough, Pete. I don't know how well Caulerpas grow in brackish water, but, they will spiral out of control if let out into saltwater...there's an entire section of the Mediterranean that's been blanketed with Caulerpa, which has wiped out all of the natural flora and driven off the fauna that lived in it. It's toxic to fish, so nothing will eat it. And it was ALL traced back to an aquarium hobbyist-grown strain...which was housed at a national aquarium and was dumped into the water there, inadvertently. Best thing to do with excess macro is to FREEZE it in a ziplock bag, then toss it in your garbage can.

7. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Thanks Kirk.

8. Kirk_M

Pete,

I didn't post that assuming you didn't know it already, so, hopefully it didn't come off that way...just for general info for new folks like Rob...

9. robharold Montipora Coral

Thanks Kirk and Pettee. I would never just let any of this stuff go into the wild. I do have a question though. Where is the stuff like calurpa from? I assumed it was a saltwater algae since we use it in our saltwater aquarium. Do either of you guys have any snails or crabs in the fuge? I know the pods will get in there but you would have too add the critters if you wanted them. I do not have any sand or mud yet and some type of algae is going nuts. I thought I would add some crabs to eat the stuff.

10. robharold Montipora Coral

Cheato is what I have. I can't really tell yet if it is growing or not. I was actually thinking of upgrading to a larger fuge when I finish moving. Now heavily considering using the one I have and adding a sump so I can upgrade my skimmer more easily.

11. Kirk_M

Caulerpa is pretty much globally distributed in the oceans....it grows just about wherever the water is warm enough, though, some forms prefer slightly cooler water (prolifera). There are plenty of different strains of it, and they grow in different locations. I always put a couple of snails in mine, just to keep the glass clean. I'm not a fan of hermits at all, so, I stay away from them when I can, personally.

Your chaetomorpha should be fine. And, you'll be able to tell if it's growing or not... it'll soon take on the appearance of a big, green afro when it's happy. :)

12. Pettee86

Pettee86 Marine Betta

Kirk - Hey no problem.

I do know that my cheto hasn't really grown all that much since I got it but he other macro is thriving :D