Refurbishing metal hood

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by oimate842005, Apr 17, 2006.

1. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

I have this old PC smartlite fixture thats rusted like no tommorow. I know I can sand off the rust and I want to paint it black, but what paint should I use to recoat the fixture? I think its just metal, I dont think its aluminum,,any suggestions...

2. Look into Epoxy Paint. They make it in a can for repainting appliances. It is really duable, however, you must get the rust off or it will just keep pushing the paint off.

3. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Hey Ian, my dad could powder coat it for real cheap.

4. SLUSamson

SLUSamson CrossHatch Trigger

powder coating is cooooool :D

5. ronniem

ronniem Spiny Star Astraea

My first choice would be powder coating if the money was right.
    Second choice would be to sand off the rust and coat with Chem Prime then high temp paint.

6. Travis

Travis Toadstool Leather Coral

Hey Ian, don't use any of that liquid rust remover if you want to powder coart it because it will ruin the powder coat finish when it gets baked.

How big is it? If it's not too big, we could sand blast it to take off the rust. You can't powder coat over the rust because it will make the powder coat, once baked, flake off the rusted parts.

Also, what color do you want it? If you want it Mat Black (dull black) or Glossy Black we can do it cheap cheap.

7. Like Travis said, i was gonna suggest sand blasting all the rust off and them Powder Coating it. ;)

8. oimate842005

oimate842005 Gem Tang LARC Supporter

thanks for the advice everybody...I will get with Travis and see about the powder coat.